Return to Website

Horse Crazy Web Forum

Questions,queries and suggestions covering all aspects of horses and ponies. PLEASE NOTE: Please take extra care not to give out too many personal details. Any messages giving details of personal phone numbers will be deleted. This action is taken for your personal safety.

UNFORTUNATLY THIS FORUM IS TURNING AWAY FROM ITS ORIGINAL PURPOSE. THE TOPIC IS HORSES & THAT IS WHY THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE COME HERE, HOWEVER IT IS BEING OVER CROWDED BY NON-HORSE TOPICS. PLEASE KEEP IT HORSEY. NON HORSE MESSAGES WILL BE DELETED.

Horse Crazy Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
riding accident involving tractor

Hi there all! I was wondering if any could give me any advice? I have had my 13 yr old totally bombproof mare since a foal and have had many years of fabulous hacking etc., until a month ago that is when this total burk trapped me and Jas (the horse) between his trailer and a barb wire fence, managing to rip off some skin on her rump before driving off! It was a nightmare but we survvived and she got over the physical injuries. Now, however, my poor sweet mare is terrified of just about anything out on the roads. We do go off road but have to go on road to get there. Obviously tractors are the worst, but any largish vehicle now sends her into a fearful frenzy. I did give her time off to recuperate and then started lunging and short hacks again. We are surrounded by corn fields so at the mo all the farmers round here are going nuts to get in the barley and bales etc. I have tried coaxing her very quietly past things, yelling at her, waiting for up to 20 minutes for her to change her mind (much to the annoyance of the drivers!!), but we usually end up spinning dangerously and my nerves are getting well frayed, especially when I end up with a long tailback of traffic on the main road - not good! I even relented and bought a body protector yesterday! Now I am still freaked but also squashed inside a straightjacket!! Any advise? HOW do I convince Jas that traffic is OK again or is it true as all the old farmers round here keep saying - that she'll never get over it?! She is a very stoic partbred welsh cob so I reckon we WILL get over this! PLEASE HELP!!! Clare and Jasmine!

Re: riding accident involving tractor

Poor Jas, her head must be scrambled! I had the same thing with a lorry and a bridge and my super cool connemara and it took a long while to get him unjittery again. Take it very slowly, letting her see tractors etc from far away and gradually moving in closer. I'm talking about starting a field away and giving lots of praise when she stands and lots of encouragement when she gets nervous. Also walk her past stationary vehicles with mountains of praise. Take your time, it will take many months but hopefully you should get your lovely horse back. Good luck!!