BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Name of Jebel next to BP Camp

Hi
I am a bit of an intruder on this site, not having been a "BP Aden Kid". However, I am a frequent visitor to the site, as it has furnished me with information that I was never privileged to have access to.
I was a Royal Marine and served in Aden with 45 Commando
from October 1966 until September 1967. I should have stayed until the withdrawal, but was casevacced with a few bits of Blindicide still embedded in various parts of my anatomy.
What I am trying to ascertain is the name of the Jebel that lay directly behind BP Camp. When standing in the camp the 45 occupied and looking across the other camp, occupied at that time by 1 RHA, with the refinery on the right and the beach to the left, there was a jebel about a quarter of a mile away.
One of our less popular activities was to climb up the right hand side of it, run along the top and down the other side, which was not far from the beach, and back to camp.
If anyone can come up with a name, I'd be grateful.
Thanks
Vic

Email: balsdon@homecall.co.uk

Re: Name of Jebel next to BP Camp

Hi Vic,
None of my maps show the local name of the mountain . As kids we called it the Camel's saddle and climbed it on occasion.Try this link I have uploaded a picture which shows part of the mountain taken in January 2008.

http://www.bpadenkids.com/camelssaddle.htm

All the houses you may recall leading up to the mountain have long gone.
I remember the 45 Commandos being stationed in Bandar Sheikh and the lines of tents pitched by the football pitches. Hopefully one of those tents wasn't your home for any length of time. Did you have your pay parade on top of Observation Hill ?
Regards

Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

Hi Jonathan
Thanks for the info. Having looked at a map of the area that was kindly sent to me by another BP Aden kids contributor, it seems likely that the hill in question is part of Jebel Ihsan, and is too small to have it's own name. Camel's saddle will do fine though. No, we didn't live in the tents by the football pitch-at least, not during my time there. We had the blue huts inside the compound, with air conditioning that worked some of the time!
Up country, however, at Habilayn and Dhala, the accommodation was tented.
And, yes, we did have our pay parades on Observation Hill! 750 steps, if my somewhat unreliable memory is
in gear.Nice view, once you were there, though.
I have a strong desire to return, but a party that went back last year had their movements strictly curtailed and were not permitted to travel up country. Who will look after Silent Valley cemetery in years to come, I wonder? However, my health is not good so it is unlikely that I shall ever make the trip, anyway.
Thank you for your kindness in helping out a "non BP kid"
Regards
Vic

Hi Vic.
You are right asbout the 750 steps. I have climbed the hill 3 times recently. After counting each step on the first climb I noted somebody had very kindly painted the step count at the top !! As a teenager the climb wasn't a problem now it makes my head spin. Sorry your health stops you going back to Aden. On my recent visits I have had terrifc times and met some wonderful people. I encourage everybody who has the chance to revisit Aden.
Regards

Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

hi vic just stumbled on this site .I was in bpcamp 1966/7 xcom hw. mortar.been searching loads of sites for info got a few good ones, no photo of bp camp though, was you in a rifle comp? will get back to you if you reply.

Email: stevegrady@msn.com

Hi Steve
Good to hear from another former "Bootie". I joined Four Five in October '67 and was with X Coy for about a month, then was head hunted by Recce Troop (Simon Julian was the boss at that time) Terry Knott took over from him just before Christmas when we were at HMS Sheba doing IS duties in Tawahi. Then a spell in Sheikh Othman, followed by Little Aden and then "up country". Great times! I go to the 45 Reunion in Pompey every May. There is a small group of us that were there in 66/67 and it is very informal and friendly. My email address is balsdon@homecall.co.uk.
Keep in touch.
Regards
Vic
RM19062/ 733 Squad/ Cpl PW2

HI,

I LIVED ACROSS THE ROAD IN THE BP CONVERSION HOUSES IN BANDAR SHEIKH OPPOSITE 45 RM IN LITTLE ADEN.

SEEM TO REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU WERE "NOT AT HOME," YOU WERE ON A CARRIER CALLED THE BULWARK.

COULD BE THE HILL YOU ARE ON ABOUT IS ONE WE CALLED CATHERDRAL ROCK BEHIND THE REFINERY..

AT ONE TIME, SOMEONE HAD PLONKED A CAR ON TOP USING A HELICOPTER. A VERY RISKY CLIMB AND I THINK IT CLAIMED ONE OFFICER DEATH BUT NOT SURE ABOUT THAT.

REGARDS.

IJS.

Email: IEUAN.SIMS@NTLWORLD.COM