BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Street names

I always thought we got Marine Drive because we were in Little Aden early on and in a family. My Dad used to drive into or, rather, onto, the block of concrete that was the 'Garage' in the evening and then just drive straight off the next morning. Didn't seem to be any houses behind us! Started at 13 Marine Drive (or was it Parade??) with the Greenstocks one side, Stockdales the other, Peta nee Turner at about 9, Yana and Wally Radford and the Bomfords way down the higher numbers end. Bronny must have been somewhere in the 30's (on a corner? With the Kharman Ghia???) as was Helen. We moved to 45 Marine Dve/Pde when our Dad (Harry Leslie Shute) was promoted to Works Manager.
The view was always superb and the activities on the beach - fishing and helping to pull in the nets in the early mornings, watching dolphins, watching people just out walking - always stay with me.
Cheers,

John

Email: shute.john@gmail.com

Hi Jonathan, trust you are keeping well, have you lost the maps that i sent you, they were on your website for a while, I will try to locate them again and send them to you

Email: gordon-clark@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Roddy,John,Gordon,
Thanks for the imput. Gordon please resend me the maps. We lived just off Marine drive by the clinic. Not quite top drawer etc! I think Bir Fuqum by the GM's was the place to live.
Khadris is still there. I had a look around on one of my visits and the place is still the same. Food stuff downstairs and "luxury" goods upstairs. Next time I will ask about your car. Thinking of some of the vehicles you encounter on Aden's roads your car must still be in use.
Regards

JPW

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

Roddy Wade
Hi Jonathan
Berks and Wilts I remember, but wasn,t there a Devonshire as well

There definately was a Devonshire because we lived on it!

Email: steve@terrapania.com

Ghaddir Street map

I found my street maps and have copied them into word docs, they could put on yoursite as such for people to download. To get an image to display directly on your site do a "printscreen" and paste into paint, save as jpeg format. Best Regards, Gordon

Street names / Ghadir map

Thanks for the maps Gordon. I will add them shortly. I think I now have all the road names for Ghadir. Now what about Bandar Sheikh. I lived at E1. I believe the roads went A through H. A being the road nearest the beach. Any ideas ? Does anyone remember the original community centre on the top road in Bandar Sheikh. I had a very bad experience as a cub scout in the building
Regards

Jonathan W

Email: N606JP@COMCAST.NET

Re: Street names / Ghadir map

Hi Jonathan
Yep the 'A's were nearest the beach and the 'E's were the last before you came to the bondu and then the conversions. We lived in E3 with the Trickies next door I believe, then moved onto D7 prior to going over to Ghadir. I remember the community centre as I was the patrol leader of the scouts (all 3 of us!) Padre Thomas was it? I remember falling asleep or trying to fight it whilst attending confirmation classes with him, must have passed though as I was one of many who were confirmed by the Bishop of the Sudan later on.
Tell me where is everybody getting October street from - can't ever remember such a name - and according to John my memory isn't that bad for my age.
No one has yet mentioned Spinneys the shop just down from the cinema - remember it?
Cheers
Roddy

Email: rodwade@chelseachop.fsnet.co.uk

Hi Stephen
Must apologise for the John in my reply to Jonathan, but don't you have a brother of that name? - or is it someone else I know! Anyway now we know that Devonshire existed, can you locate it in Ghadir......
Cheers
Roddy

Hi Roddy,
Thanks for the info. I got thrown out of the cubs for doing some quite heinous i.e spitting. Akela was not pleased and sent me packing permanently.After that I spent many a happy hour spying on the brownies when it was their time to perform. I still know my knots and have managed to hold onto my woggle. We got to meet the international scout leader a fellow I believe named Maclain one evening at the Crater tanks. He was on a world tour. I remember Spinneys, here is a link to a picture supplied by Nick Ward http://www.bpadenkids.com/images/nickpres2/1959o04oPCWo003.jpg

Do you remember Dinshaws on the next block? The cinema is still there but not in use regretfully. I remember many an evening spent there watching movies and red fiery objects filling the evening sky. Very quickly did I realise the squaddies disposed of their cigarette butts by launching them in the air aimed at the locals section with some interesting results. Happy days.

Regards

Jonathan W

To answer the previous question re October St in about 1970 all the streets in Ghadir as we knew them were renamed by the Govt. The names chosen were after dates which were relevant to them chucking the British out & some of the victories won in the troubles leading up to independance. October St was I believe Devonshire St which ran immediately behind the Al Khaisa end of Marine Drive & was renamed 14th October St. We lived at number 18 next to the field that had the siren in it which I remember blowing loudly every Thursday at 17:00 to mark the beginning of the week end & at the start & end of Ramadan. We had a wonderful view of Ghadir Bay all the way round. The Larmers lived up the road in one of the 2 storey houses. Marine Drive was renamed Corniche al Ghadir.
I hope this helps to solve any puzzle.

Email: joannapaylor@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Sharon
Many thanks for the info, It had crossed my mind that many of you lived on in LA after the Brits had left and that street names must have been changed.Anyway I can now place Devonshire street and now know that the Larmers must have moved after we left as they used to live behind us, must contact David for the street name
Thanks again
Roddy

map of Bandar Shaykh sent to Jonathan, dont know street names but have put our house on "Y4 Conversion"

Fascinating 'conversation' - brings back some good memories - especially the shop names which I had forgotten. i think it was to Dinshaw's (Cowajee Dinshaw's?)that my father took me to buy my very first 78 record - Buddy Holly and Rock Around the Clock - with Sixteen Women on the B side!

Wonderful times at the cinema too, though on at least one ocassion we chose to sit apart from my father whose laugh could be most embarassing. I'm sure we used to go twice a week almost without fail.

I'm sure it was Bill Flood who had the Karman Ghia.

Email: pennybenstead@gmail.com

No - Bill Flood had the Mercedes! Took it out of his garage once a week, after polishing it, and it soundlessly glided away with him at te wheel. A short while later he drove the car gently into the garage, probably cleaned it again, closed the door and went inside.
Bronwyn's Dad had the Kharmann Ghia and a beautiful car it was. (Tell me I'm right Bronwyn - please!!)
Cheers,

John

Email: shute.john@gmail.com

We lived in a two story house at the eastern end of Devonshire. I can't recall the number. You can see photos from it in my gallery on the web site. Fantastic view right around the bay!

Reasonably sure that Devonshire was the second street back from the beach, and we were in the first house on the right looking from the ocean.

Roddy, no apology needed! I have no brothers of any name. A virtual plethora of sisters however

Actually, a really great tool for all of this is Google Earth (http://earth.google.com/). There is still so much clearly recognisable.

Hi Jonathan
Having just looked at the aerial photo taken of Bandar Sheikh, our assumption that the A's were nearest the beach must be wrong!! Why you ask? Well having lived in E3 and D7 which had a tar road running between them, and knowing that we lived nearer to the 'conversions' than the beach, the photo bears out the fact that it must have run the other way considering the street layout!! Plus I can distinctly remember steering the school bus over the bondu having dropped Chris Spragg and Leslie Sunley off at the conversions, then hitting real road before turning left almost immediately to drop myself, Glen Trickey, and his sister off!! Must have had one too many last time we spoke on the subject!!
Cheers for now
Roddy

Hi Roddy, I am a little confused as well. We lived at E1 which was at the top of the estate by the old community centre. I had an e-mail from Ieuan Simms who lived at Y5. Ieuan's house was on the main road into Bandar Sheikh almost opposite the chapel. Where was A1?. Was this the beach road? Does anyone know. Hopefully the maps I recently uploaded may jog some memories.

Regards

Jonathan W

Hi Jonathan
Re A1. I am sure that we lived in B1 for a couple of months when we first arrived from Persia! It was the first conversion in the second row back, adjacent to the road that ran from the flare, past the army camp and on up to the Club, and as far as I can remember both types of bungalows had alpha numerical idents but obviously not in any particular order, perhaps they were numbered as they were built/converted? Some of the early pics show bungalows dotted about as appossed to being in rows, so perhaps that is the answer, if not I am as confused as you are! As for the chapel surely it was on the road leading to the community centre which was surrounded by the army camp with all BP families living north of the road leading to the beach!
Cheers for now
Roddy

Hi Jonathan
Further to my last 'post' and having looked at the maps provided by Annette Longford I am now convinced that my last theory is correct! Knowing that E3 was on the right going up to the old community centre ie 'cubs, and D7 was on the left going the same way.....and I could watch the top half of the cinema screen from our lounge window in D7..... convinces me that I can definately identify E to A running towards the beach from the gap between the conversions leaving the rest to be numbered as they were built, albeit haphazardly! Hope this helps!
Cheers
Roddy

Hi Roddy
I was talking to Jackie Degg on the subject of street numbering. He believes the letters ran A-O from the conversions. Looking at the telephone directory Nick Ward donated, this must be correct as the Lister family lived very close to the BP club on the road by the beach "O2". From what I deduce !! The Rhiley Newsums were lettered A to O. There was no P or I. The conversions were lettered R to Y. What do you think ?
The roads are still in place in Bandar Sheikh albeit covered in sand. Jackie and I found the site of our houses and the base of the old community centre.

I really do need to get a life!!

Regards

Jonathan W

Email: N606JP@COMCAST.NET

Thanks for that information. As a young child I have lots of memories but few facts. i know we lived in October Street. I think we were the last house on the left end of the street. Then there was a hill with an old ruined police building on it. I used to play in, which was occassionaly visited by pie dogs and I would climb on the roof! The house looked over the beach and some white garages. Are the houses still there! I wonder who moved in after we left in 1973. I left my swimming medals in my bedroom cupboard!

Email: kate@bagend.org.uk

Hi Kate,
I dont know if you remember me, but just to answer your question it was my family who moved in just after you left. We moved to your house from a bungalow half way along October street where we had lived for a long time. With the arrival of my little sister we needed the extra room as the house was 3 bedroomed. It was quite strange as I only ever remembered it as your house & I actually felt very sad when your family left for good as Michael & I had been good pals for most of my time in Aden. Your Mum was always very kind to me & I used to love hearing her speak of the old days when she was growing up & was especially saddened when I heard she had died so soon after returning to the UK.

Email: joannapaylor@hotmail.co.uk

Apparently we were in F5 in the conversions.
For an idea of what's still exists in Aden have a look here.
This is where we lived on Devonshire Street (the end one), apparently the Barnetts were next door.

Hi Stephen
Most of the Rhiley Newsums were dismantled and removed and I believe given away to some Sultan up country. This was at the end of the 60's. The coomunity centre and some contractors buildings remain. The driver (Abdullah) we have used on trips to Aden told us he worked at a chicken farm at Bandar Sheikh.I think this was scheme sanctioned by the first government after Independence this did not last. Some houses been built along the road by the beach. The old roads still exist albeit covered in sand. Jackie Degg and I explored the area and found the sites of our houses and where the original community centre stood. I was told they have ear marked Bandar Sheikh for some fancy tourist area.
Regards

Jonathan W

We lived in Riley Newsum N5 which was near the front and diagonaly across from the Club. Must fish out a photo some time.

Dad (now nearing 91) has passed a load of cine films to me which I need to go through at some time to see if there is anything there of interest to other readers.

Email: nobaur01@tiscali.co.uk

Hi Jonathan,

Having read through all the replies to your query, I don't think anyone has mentioned Hampshire Crescent.
My parents lived at No 2 having moved from one of the conversions (I can't remember the actual address). I do recall being invited to play mahjong in the morning with some of the mums in one of the conversions - obviously a regular recreation - one holiday when there were very few teenagers around. I also remember a plague of locusts descending on the garden and devouring everything in sight before moving on, while we were living there. For someone who is absolutely terrified of insects, it was the stuff of nightmares and is clear in my memory to this day!

Nancy

Email: nancy.grant@btinternet.com

Hi Nancy

I am still trying to place street names in Ghadir. I have most of them. Was Hampshire Crescent next to Sussex gardens? We lived in Wiltshire Crescent just of Marine Drive. I will shortly add another map with the street names added to one of Annette Longford's maps. Hopefully the names will be accurate. I find the street names very amusing our attempt at a little piece of England !!
Regards
Jonathan W

Nancy Grant (formerly Smith)
I also remember a plague of locusts descending on the garden and devouring everything in sight before moving on, while we were living there.

Hi Nancy,

I remember the locusts. I had a pet one (well, it had a broken leg and I kept it in a box). It didn't live long. There weren't a lot of books on locust husbandry back then.

Re: Street names (Locusts)

After Aden we went to Beirut & Saudi Arabia, a plague of locusts came our way and as we had the largest bit of grass in Saudi Arabia on our camp, the locals were given permission to come into the camp. Equipped with towels they beat the air and amassed piles of locusts which were prized as a delicacy. Didnt try them myself but apparently they are tasty, like prawns.

I have just uploaded a modified Ghadir street map (courtesy of Annette Longford)with street names added.
www.bpadenkids.com/images/maps/ghadirmap132.pdf

I am still loking for Sussex road, Warwick road and Bedford rise. if anyone can place these on the map. Please let me know.

Thanks

Jonathan W

Hi Jonathan
Just looked at the map of Ghadir housing and it looks
ok to me............as for Bedford Rise,I am sure that it is the street that goes back from Marine Drive, with the bachelors mess to the left,and continues back to Surrey st. The mess was next to the Brownlee bungalow and was on a rather steep rise, as was the road, however so was all the housing to the right of Marine Drive so I may be wrong, but something tells me I'm not!!!
Cheers
Roddy

Hi Roddy
Thanks for the information, I have added Bedford Rise to the map.I remember the hill I could ride my bike down it without holding the handlebars, hence the scars on the knees! Still leaves me with Sussex and Warwick roads.I think Warwick road joins Essex road (near the Moran home) Can anyone out there put me out of my misery?
The amended map is at http://www.bpadenkids.com/images/maps/ghadirhousing2.pdf

Regards

Jonathan W

I was talking to my mum recently about Spinney's that was mentioned above.

I those days the meat was rock hard from the freezers at Spinney's. Mum could never remember to de-frost it, and many a time I saw her "defrosting" it under the tap.

she's now modern...still forgets to de-frost the food, but has a microwave with a de-frost button.

Spinney's was always fun when they opened their "cold" door.

PS..Nancy if you are reading this...we have moved address.

Cathy xx

When we first arrived in Aden in 1955 we lived in K4, which wasn't that far from the beach and the Club. We then moved over the "other side" to 17 Surrey Street. After my mother died in 1963, my father moved to L5 as I used to visit during holidays. I remember all these houses well! Just think, the kids now have a small sand pit to play in (if they are lucky); we had a whole garden!! Fantastic for a youngster!

Email: alan.budd@martindales.biz

New Street's Names

assalam alikoum... = Peace on you

in last of 1968, name of streets changed, maybe in september or october 1968..

i dont know spelling english names of street, but i found some from this topic, however i will write it in two lists the list number for the correct spelling and list number 2 for streets, i think this is it's spelling, please correct me, but the name of arabic i am sure in two lists:

list (1):

Marine Drive = Korniche Al-Ghadir

Wiltshire Crescent = Al-Zahraa Street

Berkshire gardens = Al-Frdous Street

Devonshire Street = 14 October Street

Warwick road = Al-Jeel Road

Essex Road = Shebam Road

list (2):

Al-Douq Road = Al-Shaheed Al-Douh Road

Kent Avino = Al-Baladiah Road

Somrest Court = Al-Salam Road

Bedford Rise = Al-Koud Street

Hartford Rise = Therah Road

Beckengham Road = Sa-ber Road

The bridges:
(A) the bridge between Little Aden and Shaikh othman = Al-Khaledeen Bridge

(B) the bridge between B.Class and C. Class = 28 June Bridge

(C) The Bridge beside Powerstation = Al-Tharbah Bridge

the people now dont know names of bridges, they describe the bridge that they want.

Hani Bassel

i am sorry i dont have good language.

with best wishes

Email: stronger20052002@yahoo.com

Re: New Street's Names

Hani Bassel

i am sorry i dont have good language.

Hani,

I'm sure that your English is far better than our Arabic! (Well most of us anyhow!)

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful and fascinating facts you keep giving us.

thanks stephen

Email: stronger20052002@yahoo.com

Is AlMamoun , ALSaad estate are names as same now.

Email: eredwinsam@hotmail.com