BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Street names

Roddy Wade
Hi Jonathan
Berks and Wilts I remember, but wasn,t there a Devonshire as well

There definately was a Devonshire because we lived on it!

Email: steve@terrapania.com

Hi Jonathan, trust you are keeping well, have you lost the maps that i sent you, they were on your website for a while, I will try to locate them again and send them to you

Email: gordon-clark@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Stephen
Must apologise for the John in my reply to Jonathan, but don't you have a brother of that name? - or is it someone else I know! Anyway now we know that Devonshire existed, can you locate it in Ghadir......
Cheers
Roddy

Email: rodwade@chelseachop.fsnet.co.uk

Hi Jonathan,

Having read through all the replies to your query, I don't think anyone has mentioned Hampshire Crescent.
My parents lived at No 2 having moved from one of the conversions (I can't remember the actual address). I do recall being invited to play mahjong in the morning with some of the mums in one of the conversions - obviously a regular recreation - one holiday when there were very few teenagers around. I also remember a plague of locusts descending on the garden and devouring everything in sight before moving on, while we were living there. For someone who is absolutely terrified of insects, it was the stuff of nightmares and is clear in my memory to this day!

Nancy

Email: nancy.grant@btinternet.com

Hi Nancy

I am still trying to place street names in Ghadir. I have most of them. Was Hampshire Crescent next to Sussex gardens? We lived in Wiltshire Crescent just of Marine Drive. I will shortly add another map with the street names added to one of Annette Longford's maps. Hopefully the names will be accurate. I find the street names very amusing our attempt at a little piece of England !!
Regards
Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

Nancy Grant (formerly Smith)
I also remember a plague of locusts descending on the garden and devouring everything in sight before moving on, while we were living there.

Hi Nancy,

I remember the locusts. I had a pet one (well, it had a broken leg and I kept it in a box). It didn't live long. There weren't a lot of books on locust husbandry back then.

Re: Street names (Locusts)

After Aden we went to Beirut & Saudi Arabia, a plague of locusts came our way and as we had the largest bit of grass in Saudi Arabia on our camp, the locals were given permission to come into the camp. Equipped with towels they beat the air and amassed piles of locusts which were prized as a delicacy. Didnt try them myself but apparently they are tasty, like prawns.

Email: gordon-clark@blueyonder.co.uk

I have just uploaded a modified Ghadir street map (courtesy of Annette Longford)with street names added.
www.bpadenkids.com/images/maps/ghadirmap132.pdf

I am still loking for Sussex road, Warwick road and Bedford rise. if anyone can place these on the map. Please let me know.

Thanks

Jonathan W

Hi Jonathan
Just looked at the map of Ghadir housing and it looks
ok to me............as for Bedford Rise,I am sure that it is the street that goes back from Marine Drive, with the bachelors mess to the left,and continues back to Surrey st. The mess was next to the Brownlee bungalow and was on a rather steep rise, as was the road, however so was all the housing to the right of Marine Drive so I may be wrong, but something tells me I'm not!!!
Cheers
Roddy

Email: rodwade@chelseachop.fsnet.co.uk

Hi Roddy
Thanks for the information, I have added Bedford Rise to the map.I remember the hill I could ride my bike down it without holding the handlebars, hence the scars on the knees! Still leaves me with Sussex and Warwick roads.I think Warwick road joins Essex road (near the Moran home) Can anyone out there put me out of my misery?
The amended map is at http://www.bpadenkids.com/images/maps/ghadirhousing2.pdf

Regards

Jonathan W

I was talking to my mum recently about Spinney's that was mentioned above.

I those days the meat was rock hard from the freezers at Spinney's. Mum could never remember to de-frost it, and many a time I saw her "defrosting" it under the tap.

she's now modern...still forgets to de-frost the food, but has a microwave with a de-frost button.

Spinney's was always fun when they opened their "cold" door.

PS..Nancy if you are reading this...we have moved address.

Cathy xx

When we first arrived in Aden in 1955 we lived in K4, which wasn't that far from the beach and the Club. We then moved over the "other side" to 17 Surrey Street. After my mother died in 1963, my father moved to L5 as I used to visit during holidays. I remember all these houses well! Just think, the kids now have a small sand pit to play in (if they are lucky); we had a whole garden!! Fantastic for a youngster!

Email: alan.budd@martindales.biz

New Street's Names

assalam alikoum... = Peace on you

in last of 1968, name of streets changed, maybe in september or october 1968..

i dont know spelling english names of street, but i found some from this topic, however i will write it in two lists the list number for the correct spelling and list number 2 for streets, i think this is it's spelling, please correct me, but the name of arabic i am sure in two lists:

list (1):

Marine Drive = Korniche Al-Ghadir

Wiltshire Crescent = Al-Zahraa Street

Berkshire gardens = Al-Frdous Street

Devonshire Street = 14 October Street

Warwick road = Al-Jeel Road

Essex Road = Shebam Road

list (2):

Al-Douq Road = Al-Shaheed Al-Douh Road

Kent Avino = Al-Baladiah Road

Somrest Court = Al-Salam Road

Bedford Rise = Al-Koud Street

Hartford Rise = Therah Road

Beckengham Road = Sa-ber Road

The bridges:
(A) the bridge between Little Aden and Shaikh othman = Al-Khaledeen Bridge

(B) the bridge between B.Class and C. Class = 28 June Bridge

(C) The Bridge beside Powerstation = Al-Tharbah Bridge

the people now dont know names of bridges, they describe the bridge that they want.

Hani Bassel

i am sorry i dont have good language.

with best wishes

Email: stronger20052002@yahoo.com

Re: New Street's Names

Hani Bassel

i am sorry i dont have good language.

Hani,

I'm sure that your English is far better than our Arabic! (Well most of us anyhow!)

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful and fascinating facts you keep giving us.

thanks stephen

Email: stronger20052002@yahoo.com

Is AlMamoun , ALSaad estate are names as same now.

Email: eredwinsam@hotmail.com