BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Snakes, Malaria, Rabies.

I am just reading a 2007 Bradt guide to Yemen.

In it they mention a couple of types of poisonous snakes, and the necessity to be vaccinated for Malaria and Rabies.

Well, despite travelling extensively in the mountains around Aden I never ever saw a snake.

British Forces, had heaps on injections, possibly malaria included, but I have never considered one on any subsequent visit.

Rabies. No doubt the ferral cats which are abundant, and the Piard Dogs carry it. But I doubt one would be in danger of being bitten by 0ne unless they provoked.

Any feedback please?

Email: don@snap.net.nz

Re: Snakes, Malaria, Rabies.

Hi Don,
Happy New Year to you !
I can only remember seeing one snake in the 10 years I lived in Aden. That ended up in a specimen jar for the school's biology class. On my first trip to Aden in 2006 I was advised by the local travel doctor to be vacinnated against typhoid and yellow fever. He also gave me anti malaria tablets and cipro. I took the malaria tablets. Talking to the locals there has not been any outbreaks of malaria in the Aden for years. On the other trips I didn't bother with any medications with the exception of some sticking plasters and Savlon. Good fun eh.

Regards

Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net, roffensian@comcast.net

Hi, Happy New Year to everyone. Thanks Jonathan. I think sometimes a little bit of hysteria takes over. But, maybe being over prepared is better than not.

My preventatives will probably be Sunscreen and Immodium.

cheers.. Don

Email: don@snap.net.nz

Happy New Year!
I would strongly advise Typhoid vaccination as I do remember outbreaks of this when I lived in Aden. These outbreaks were mainly in schools in Big Aden but one time The Rex Italian restaurant in the crescent was closed for Typhoid & my family & I had eaten in there the day before. Typhoid does tend to be waterborne
& people can be carriers so if this is the only vaccination you have it would be well worth it.
As for snakes I was nearly bitten on 2 occasions in our garden in Ghadir. The Yemeni scorpions can give a fatal sting too, no need for hysteria just be vigilant

Email: joannapaylor@hotmail.co.uk

I don't remember having an anti malarial injection prior to being sent out to Aden. I'm not sure that one was available.
In Borneo, a few years earlier, we had to take a vile tasting little yellow pill called Paludrine every morning. This wasn't part of the routine in Aden, though, so maybe the risk wasn't that high.
Snakes? Quite a few up country (Al Habilayn/Radfan) but they mostly left us alone unless we antagonized them.

Email: vpbalsdon@btinternet.com