BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Question about Tawahi

Hi there!
Sorry, maybe my question is about off topic, but I just found this page and can't resist to ask ... so ..
My husband and I live in Aden at the moment. We have a little house in Tawahi at the seaside, close to the Christ Church and what on old maps is called "Pilots Pier". In fact it seems the houses are called "Pilot Houses".
I was wandering if anyone knows a bit more about these houses? Why they were build? For whom? Or if anyone has an old picture of them?
I like to live here, it's such a beautiful place! :-)

Hoping to hear from anyone... greetings from Aden

Email: a.knox@gmx.de

Re: Question about Tawahi

Hi Anika, If my memory serves me well the houses were built for the many marine pilots and their families. Aden was the second busiest port in the world after New York in the 50's and the 60's. I would imagine they were kept very busy and had to be at a easy accessible location to do their jobs. If David Harrington is monitoring the site he may be able to clarify this with his connection to harbour through Marconi Marine.
Best wishes

Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net, roffensian@comcast.net

Hi Anika,

I've just picked up on your query. I have a friend who was one of the senior Aden Port Trust Pilots in the sixties and am awaiting a reply from him to your questions. He will provide an authorative answer.

Email: mail@onstuis.co.uk

Hi Anika, I’m sorry to have to report that the pilot I discussed your queries with has been unable to supply all of the answers I had hoped for. He served in Aden from 1960-1967 but his recall is not very clear about the points you queried after so many years – neither is mine! The problem is that those of us who worked in Aden at that time are now getting along in years. He has however supplied the following information: -

“We called the place where the pilot launches lay "the Bundar", which is probably what is referred to on maps of the time as ‘Pilots Pier’. The only house in the vicinity was Breakwater Flats which was a two storey building at the root of the breakwater. There were three bungalows built round the old pilot office and they were pilots' houses. I have recollections of just walking out the old Harbour Office, down steps and on to the Bundar. Perhaps the small houses were accommodation, either for the servants of the bungalows, or some of the men on the tugs/boats.”

Anika, sadly I never took any photographs of that area and do not recall ever going down to the Pilots Pier or the breakwater so I cannot add any further information. This was probably because the road by-passed this area as you will see on the maps.

I have copied a section of the detailed map of Steamer Point (see http://www.bpadenkids.com/hdmaps.htm) that shows the area you are interested in and you can find this by following this link to one of my websites http://www.thetokoloshe.co.uk/images/pilots_map_extract.jpg

Christ Church appears in orange at the lower right hand corner.

The full map was prepared for the Aden Govt in 1964. The UTM Grid and road infill was added by 13 Fd Svy Sqn RE in 1965. Later revisions were from miscellaneous sources added Nov 1965. This tells us that the houses I assume you refer to were there at that time.

I hope this helps to some extent.

Hi David,
thank you so much for making such an effort about my request.
I wasn't expecting much, so what you posted really means a lot to me. THANKS!
Have you visited Aden again any time?
I just looked arround you website and recognised quit some places - most of them look very shabby now - but the "new harbour offices" are still in use. I look at this building every day.
In Tawahi many things from the old times are still recognisable - if you are intrested I could try to post some photos somewhere.

Thanks again to anyone who tried to help me!
kind regards
Anika

Email: a.knox@gmx.de

You're welcome Anika. No, I have never returned to Aden since leaving in 1965. We would all enjoy seeing any photos you take. You could send them to Jonathan as .jpg files for posting on the site for all to view.

Enjoy your life in Aden,

David