BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gliding in Aden and Jim Early

I would welcome any BP folk who flew with Aden Services Gliding Club at the airfield near Sheik Othman to contact me. In particular I recollect a Jim Early, one of our instructors, who I think worked for BP. This was 1964 to 66 era.

All the best

Les Simpson
Shifnal
Shropshire

Email: lessimpson24@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Gliding in Aden and Jim Early

Hi Les,

Have you seen this map donated by Brian Redfern. It shows the areas the gliders operated in Aden. The link is http://www.bpadenkids.com/Aden%20Kart%205.pdf

As a pilot of powered aircraft I will be very interested if you could let me know how gliding conditions were in Aden. I would imagine the thermal activity must have been excellent.

Best wishes

Jonathan Wilkins

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

Re: Gliding in Aden and Jim Early

Please accept my apologies for not replying earlier Jonathan. I now have Brians map. I learned to fly gliders at Sheik Othman and although I had flights of 2 hours plus on several occasions I cannot comment accurately. However from memory,thermals were frequent, strong, narrow low down and very rough. When I took visitors on soaring trips they would complain of cold at or even below cloudbase, typically 3000-4000 ft, and want to come down.

As we flew most afternoons in the "cool" season soaring skill developed fairly rapidly. We talked a lot about inland cross country flights but retrieving gliders over sand was a major problem added to that the deteriorating military situation.

To give you a better picture, since making my request on BP Kids, I have created a Facebook page that relates to Aden Services Gliding Club. One of the contributers has set out reports from Sailplane and Gliding. Therein lies a really good description
of our gliding activities.

I am certain that many BP families visited us and flew at Shiek Othman I would like to hear from them.

The Facebook Page for the articles mentioned above is:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=381702802864&v=app_2373072738#!/topic.php?uid=381702802864&topic=14305

There are some good Aden photos as well on the related pages.

All the best

Les

Email: lessimpson24@blueyonder.co.uk