BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Aden Parents.

Hi Sally,

Lookd forward to seeing them. I Anne and Pamela (Stewart) sent me some DVD's of their family/parents and Aden, and they are great.

One person I remember as a child on the DVD's was Steve Ryder at the Aden Club. It brought back memories of my mother chasing me out of the billiard room in case I tore the green cloth on the table (I wasn't supposed to be in there).

Sally, my dad is asking, what was your Dad's first name. He remebers 3 persons with the Young surname?

Cathy

Email: cathyconcorde@btinternet.com

Hi,

My parents, Les & Joan Shute, were also on the Canberra's maiden voyage.

And I vividly remember the billiard room at the club - where we used to secretly drink rum and coke and smoke the cocktail Sobranies that Steve's son Anthony used to smuggle in - how sophisticated we thought we were.

My father died a long time ago but my mother is still alive but unfortunately dementia has struck and her memory is very fragile.

Email: pennybenstead@gmail.com

Hi Penny,

My Dad remembers your father,he thinks he was also in Abadan?

Cathy x

Yes, my father was in Abadan all through the war (waiting to blow up the refinery if the Italians showed any sign of getting there!) - he went on leave, met my mother and they married on VE Day. Mum stayed behind when he returned to Abadan, to follow in May 46 when I was six weeks old! My brother John was born there and I think we finally left in 51/52 with the change in regime. All best wishes to your father.

Email: pennybenstead@gmail.com

Hi Cathy,
sorry not to have answered before, My dads name was Robert(bob) and your dad probably would know him as he was also in Abadan before going to Aden. My eldest brother Robert was born in Abadan. They too had to leave in a bit of a hurry and I understand it was a worrying time for all caught up in it.
I was born in Aden in november 54 and have great memories of a wonderfull childhood there.
I wonder does your father remember Arthur Higgenbottom(spelling) he is my Godfather and i have always wondered how/where/what
Did we go to school together?
sally

Email: sallys81@msn.com

Hi Sally,

Yes,both mum and dad remember your parents very well.

Dad remembers visiting both Bob and Ina in Abadan.

He remembers your dad returning to the UK and did he open up a Laundrette in Drumchapel? Are you still in Scotland?

Also, they remember Arthur Higginbotham and think he was originally from Shrewsbury, and his son joined the Army.

Is your mum still around?

I'm afraid I don't remember you by name. Mum seems to think that your mum may have spent more time in the UK than some of the wives. She can't remember but did your family go to school in the UK and she perhaps only came out at holidays? Her memory is hazy on that, so apologies if it's not correct.

Cathy x