BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Putting Silent Valley to bed!

Hi Jonathan
Since my last post on the subject I have realised that having had a few 'wets' at the time, I forgot to mention that the valley was so named by the BP contractors who built the refinery and subsequently the road through the valley to Bir Fuqum, where they also constructed the BP 'bigwig' accommodation!!!!
Before the refinery was built the British army had no interest in, or indeed units stationed in Little Aden, so whether or not military radios worked in the valley is of no consequence as to how it came to be known as 'Silent'
Cheers old son
Roddy

Email: wade@sky

Re: Putting Silent Valley to bed!

it was called silent valley because it was the cemetary,I have a mate buried there,murdered in al milah,bfpo69

Email: dcwilson@iinet.com.au

Hi folks,
The last post from Sapper Wilson, is again incorrect!
I remember the cemetary being built, exactly in the area that I used to go 2.2 shooting as a young lad, and where did I go to shoot... Silent Valley! The valley was named in the mid fifties long before the cemetary appeared, thus his supposition is unfortunately wrong.Unfortunately I too have colleagues buried there and take heart that it still looked after to this day!
Regards
Roddy

Email: wade@sky.com

Hi Roddy
I am still sticking to my old theory that radio's did not work in the valley. Even though I successfully tested my mobile there a couple of years ago. There must be a tower somewhere for Yementel to provide coverage. Britains Small Wars web site has a page which shows most of the headstones in the Silent Valley cemetery. I was suprised when I visited the cemetery how many civilians are buried there. Here is the link to the site. http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Aden/silentvalley/index.html Copy and paste into your browser!

Regards and 73's from Jonathan Wilkins G6DIQ, W6DIQ

I remember driving through the valley probably in 1961 in my VW Beetle with a Zodiac transistor radio on the front passenger to test the radio reception. I can't remember now whether I received the signal on MW or SW but definitely heard a station while driving there!

Email: brian.redfern@c2i.net

No complicated explanations required. Throughout Little Aden the refinery could be heard. Unless the wind was louder or in the wrong direction. So when you went into Silent Valley, the silence was palpable. It was like a pressure on your ears.
I experienced a similar thing in the North of Saudi Arabia wher we had a dry lake which went to the horizon in all directions.

At sunset on a windless day you had, in all directions, at your feet a flat powder sand to the horizon, and above you a clear blue sky to the horizon. Only your tyre tracks disturbed the perfection. The silence was again a pressure on the ears.

When the sun went down the sky transformed into a myriad of stars with constant. rain of comets. Totally unforgettable

Email: gordonclark132@gmail.com

Roddy is right Silent Valley was called that way back in 1955 when I first went to Little Aden. We rode in that valley in the late 50's and early 60's before the cemerary was established.

Email: patricia.miller@yale.edu

Hi Patricia
Sorry for not acknowledging your post before now, but am living with cancer which takes up too much of my time! Being two of 'the old guard' we know that we are right regarding the valley!! I remember riding with you there vividly and was always envious of your riding outfit as all I had was a tshirt and jeans, and there was you in all right riding gear, and of course I fancied you like mad!!Oh the joys of youth, hope this finds you and the family in rude health................
Regards Roddy

Email: wade@sky.com