BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 5 Surrey Street

Hi Jonathan
Have just looked at 'home' again,I have identified that some fifty three bungalows still exist, wow says something for the old colonial days! However the houses albeit built of good Aden stone are harder to identify. Having been back have you any idea as to how many still exist? Must admit that your and others recent photos sadden me as the ad hoc building in the area shows that they have no regard for the natural beauty of the area.Such a shame, but it is their country after all.
Having said that I am really torn as to whether to go back, perhaps fond memories are best as apposed to having the bubble burst, lets face it 5 Surrey Street still exists........perhaps I will leave it at that!
Regards
Roddy

Email: wade@sky.com

Hi Roddy,
On my visits back to Aden we drove around Ghadir. It seesm most of the stone houses still exist including Marine Court, the stone bungalows and the school building. A lot of the prefab houses have been demolished and a larger more modern property built on the site. I do not think there is any government body controlling the type and location of the new houses being built. I will go back again one day. There are still more than enough places from the colonial times remaining, which give me a sense of belonging .

Have a Merry Christmas.

Regards

Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

Hi Roddy,
Thanks for this. We lived at no 6, and quite surprised that there looks to be a swimming pool in the back. They must have dug up the budgie that was buried in a shoe box (sorry about your cat).
Your house seems to have trees in the front, and I remember them. Bet they are the same ones. We would have been across the street (but not at the same time I believe)

Email: cathyloch100@gmail.com

Hi Cathy,
Hope you had a wonderful christmas.
Having looked extensively, the trees are as I remember them, though
they are not as dense. They were a godsend when working on or washing my
car as the shade they provided was heavenly. Another bonus was as my car sat on the drive it was always shaded and therefore always cool to get into.......bliss! Oh and as an aside they were a great deterent against grenade throwers!! Happy days.
Best wishes for the new year
Roddy

Email: wade@sky.com

Hi Roddy,

I asked a great friend of my parents, Betty Currie, who used to live at no 3 whether it would be interesting to go back.
She said to me, no, as the same people would not be there.

I look forward to meeting you at any future Reunion instead.We shall have to have name badges with our addresses also on them!!!!

Cathy

Email: cathyloch100@gmail.com