BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My father--Shukri Asfour--Aden in 1953 & 1954

Hello Fay:
When I was a teen at Little Aden from 1953 to 1954 I was very well acquainted with the team from CCC (Consolidated Contracting or Construction Company....not sure which) a Lebanese based Palestinian subcontractor.

Many's the time I spent afternoons with Kamel Abdul Rahman and his family in their compound at Little Aden, enjoying a typical Levantine meal. His children, Nadia, Abdul, Fariel and Gamla, were my friends. Abdul, a year younger than I,and a real prankster, particularly relished honoring me with that great delicacy - the eyes of the fried fish. Other times he would deposit the family pet, a small baboon named Kubla, on my lap. She was prone to "accidents" when excited, which was anytime she wanted.

When I went away to boarding school in Beirut, Kamel's right hand man, Mr. Habib Sabagh, would look in on me. I recall meals at Zahly, high above the Bekaaa Valley, in his company. At Easter time I spent two weeks with Kamel's friends Mr. and Mrs. Hadad in Ras Beirut. Lovely people.

It is quite possible that among the other guests at Kamel's Little Aden home, or on our outings, your dad was with us. I remember that on Coronation Day, Kamel rented a fishing launch and we all went out to sea, in the direction of Somalia, and fished far from shore. Would not wish to try that today.
I may have some photos of Kamel, his kids and Habib stashed away and if I can find them I shall forward them to you.
Very best wishes,
Doug Pitchford

Email: elao333@aol.com