BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Last Post BBC

The BBC are about to run The Last Post. It is based in Aden in 1965 covering the British Forces and their families in Aden. A link to the trailer is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4NkrHD_GE

Email: jgbomford@aol.com

Re: The Last Post BBC

Hi Jonathan, hope you and Marion are doing well. Should be an interesting program. It was filmed in Kenya so no authentic scenery etc. The production company approached me about using some pictures from this web site. They are only using one of a swimming gala event at the Seaman Mission! I thought they would have at least used some of the club and the beach as the original announcement stated "fish and chips at the BP club and beach"
Best wishes
Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@gmail.com

Hi Jonathan. Marion and I are well. We watched last nights episode of The Last Post. Interesting comments of the army wives on their visit to "The BP Club". They obviously based the footage of the inshore raft at the club on the photos you provided. They didn't get the pole that the raft used to slide up and down with the tide quite right, but a good effort nonetheless.

On a sad note, I have to report that Peter Mackley died of a heart attack last month. I attended his memorial service and provided some photos and anecdotes of his visits to Aden to his nephew who gave the eulogy.

Best wishes
Jonathan

Email: jgbomford@aol.com

Hi
We're getting brief insights of the series which I suspect are designed to lure the unsuspecting viewer into watching it.
My wife's comment was: "That looks dreadful!".
Our weekend newspaper supplement revealed that the RMPs were going to go up country on the Dhala Road to rendezvous with the SAS, who had captured the leader of the NLF.
RMPs up country? Really?

Email: vpbalsdon@btinternet.com

Hi Jonathan,
Sorry to read about Peter Mackley. He was not that old. Had a good chat with him at one of the reunions. Interesting his memories.

Watched the 3rf episode and for me the last of the TLP. I would have hoped that they could have got some of it accurate. The picture I supplied them has been used as a guide to produce the BP club. The picture was of a swimming gala at the Seaman's Mission! I presume the Brit serving drinks at the club must have been Steve Ryder!

I understand poetic license but I cannot believe the writer/ producer spent anytime in Aden
Best wishes

Jonathan W

Email: N606jp@gmail.com

Having a great laugh watching the last post, attaching 2 RMP's to a SAS mission was hilarious and their reaction to enemy fire was just as unbelievable. It makes sense that the author was the son of an MP. My dad was in the Royal Anglians, I cannot remember seeing any MPs where were they based?

Email: Chrishazy@aol.com

I think the base is the authors idea of Khormaksar. It seems a long way from the airport via a mud brick house town. Not the place I remember!

Email: N606jp@gmail.com

Chris Hazelwood
Having a great laugh watching the last post, attaching 2 RMP's to a SAS mission was hilarious and their reaction to enemy fire was just as unbelievable. It makes sense that the author was the son of an MP. My dad was in the Royal Anglians, I cannot remember seeing any MPs where were they based?

Chris
The RMPs (24 Brigade Provost Unit) were based at Falaise Camp 1964 - 1967.
Elements were at HMS Sheba (Port Security) 1967
and others were part of Joint Services Police based at Steamer Point in 1967.
Like you, I was blissfully unaware of their presence - however, they did make an appearance (a very brief one!) at BP Camp, I heard, and were politely, or not so politely, told to go elsewhere.

Email: vpbalsdon@btinternet.com