BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Yemen debate in UK House of Commons

I found on my visits to Aden this desire for the Brits to be back in Aden. The problem is the British mentality has changed so much in the past 50'years that there are probably nobody who could put together a government in South Yemen which would be at or a higher standard than what's was in place upto October 1967. Look at our current politicians on both sides of the house. Would the Yemen population want any of them governing them. I think not.
Best wishes

Email: N606jp@gmail.com

Re: Yemen debate in UK House of Commons

Hi Jonathan
I agree with you that the current politicians in the UK and, for that matter, those that have held sway for the past few decades, are hardly fit to be in charge of a NAAFI queue.
I also feel that the British public has no stomach to have our troops involved in yet another country's problems, whether it be in a peace keeping role or as participants in a conflict, for that's what would be required in order to provide security for any potential political involvement in Yemen.
The mere fact that the people of Aden want us back is, I'm afraid, insufficient reason for to become involved in the affairs of a country so distant from our shores.
Our armed forces have been cut to the bone and are overstretched dealing with their current commitments.
Unlike the other countries that fell under our colonial wing and subsequently gained their independence, Aden was a protectorate. There is little difference. However, after decades of exploitation (for that's what it was), we decided to throw the towel in, with a little help from FLOSY and the NLF, to name just the principal perpetrators.
As the result of successive civil wars, Yemen has become a humanitarian, structural and economic disaster.
It would take many, many years and an unimaginable amount of money to restore the infrastructure to anything resembling its former state.
What the future holds for this country after Mrs May's dithering finally delivers Brexit is anyone's guess. Whatever the outcome, though, I'm convinced that dark years lie ahead for us, and the prospect of further involvement overseas will be a matter that would, from my point of view, be out of the question.

Regards
Vic

Email: vpbalsdon@btinternet.com