BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Book: BP Aden Visitors 1953 - 2001

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd give this thread a kick as I've been speaking to Hani and he's really keen to get as much information as possible about the refinery era. Photos, stories, anything you can tell him about ... well, anything really. I've given him most of what I have but I was only 7 when I left there so my memories are somewhat limited. Hani is actually in Aden at the moment so he is also a major font of knowledge about what life is like there right now.

His contact details are in the post above this one.

Cheers,

Steve Turtle

Email: steve@terrapania.com

I find the idea of approaching site members for their contributions for a book about BP more than a little surprising and out of place, considering what is going on in Yemen at the moment and, indeed, has been taking place for many years.
An unofficial estimate puts the total of deaths at 10,000, but it is certain that many more have perished.
Hodeidah is the most recent place to witness the savagery of war and the casualty list is still rising.
Given that the country's people are starving, have little or no fresh water to drink, and that medical facilities have largely been destroyed, rebuilding the country will be an impossible task. Cholera is still rife.
I'm not a former BP kid, something I've made clear from the outset, but I was subjected to that all pervading stink that emanated from the flare for over a year, save for a three month tour up country at Al Habilayn.
Write your book about the plight of your fellow Yemenis, Hani.
The world, and my country included, needs to know the facts.

Email: vpbalsdon@btinternet.com

It appears that my previous post has not been well received, if the lack of response is anything to go by.
It also appears that a previous one was deleted. Perhaps this one will be as well.
I have, this morning, logged on to the Al Arabia (English version) and read their denunciation of the report by Lise Grande, the newly appointed Humantitarian Co ordinator for Yemen, for being a puppet of the Houthis, as well as for her "refusal" to move her base from Sa'ana to Aden. Al Arabia fails to provide any evidence for its claims, quoting instead sources from the "legitimate government" and one can only assume that the reasons are an attempt to deny the truth to the world.
The Saudi Arabian air strike on Dhahyan in August managed to target a school bus, among other civilian areas and those children that survived were taken to a hospital in Sa'ada. Lise Grande's visit there was also condemned by Al Arabia, calling it "false information". It's starting to sound a bit like Trump!
The United Nations has predicted that the people of Yemen are facing the worst famine for 100 years, and that 13 Million people face starvation.
Why do I care so much about Yemen? Because, in the time that I was there I grew to love the beauty of the country, its history and its people, despite the fact that some of them were trying to kill me.
For me, Aden was not about The Beach Club, the riding stables, the beach (where we, the men that were there to protect you, were cordoned off), idyllic picnics and teenage romances. It was about the danger and tension of patrols in Sheikh Othman, Tawahi, Crater and Ma'alla. It was about survival.
You have your memories. I have mine.

Email: vpbalsdon@btinternet.com

Well said, Victor. I appreciate your interpretation of events and your outlook. Aden was not just a holiday destination.
Best regards,
Rosalind

Email: rjbuckton@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Cathy
I think you have a point. This website was set up for the kids of BP employees to reminisce about the days of living out in Aden in the 50s, 60s and 70s. It is very sad that the people of Yemen are having to suffer such terrible hardship and starvation these days and I think we can all greatly sympathise with their plight. However an employee of BP should be allowed to write an account of the BP refinery in Aden and ask for information on this site from people who used to live there for research purposes should he so wish.
Pam

Email: Pmillar3105@gmail.com

Vic has been a great source of information and encouragement to me i.e. the person who maintains and pays for this web site. He can stay and I welcome his comments anytime.

Email: n606jp@gmail.com