BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BP Aden Kids site - demise

Are there plans to close the site, as I have not seen these? Thank you.

Email: rjbuckton@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rosalind
Jonathan Wilkins who, I believe, founded the site and has administrated it for umpteen years, has expressed his intention to retire at the end of the year.
However, I received an email a short while ago from a gentleman named Mike Larmer, who is (or was) a neighbour of Jonathan's.
His dad, Colin, used to be the editor of Jottings.
He has a sister by the name of Katie and a brother called David. Some of you may remember them.
Mike has suggested that he is happy to take over the administration of the site when Jonathan relinquishes it.
This has not been confirmed, as I have yet to receive a reply to my latest email to him (Mike).
I am only acting as a go between, so to speak, and I am really only a guest on the site, never having been an BP Aden Kid.
I was a Royal Marine that served out there, and Jonathan kindly allowed me to post on the forum.
So everything is in the balance until further notice, I'm afraid.
Kind regards
Vic

Email: vpbalsdon@btinternet.com

Hi Vic, hope all is well with you. Saw your comment about somebody taking over the web site. I do know who your referring to. I have had no contact with him either by this site or email so am not sure what his intentions are or whether his interest is genuine.
Best wishes

Jonathan W

Hi Jonathan
I'm fine, thank you, apart from being bored out of my tiny mind with having to endure lockdown confinement.
I fall into the "High Risk" category (78 and with advanced Leukaemia) so have been warned that this confinement is likely to last a long time.
I hope that you and your family are all well.
I have copied and pasted Mike Larmer's email to me on 10th May.

Hi Victor – we saw your post
I am Mike Larmer – son of Colin and Jean Larmer.
My sister is Katie and brother is David.
My dad was Jottings Editor
We were neighbours of Jonathan as we are happy to take over this site
I hear Jonathan needs to pass it on.
We’d be happy to take over administration of the site.
Speak soon,
Mike

I replied in good faith, believing his offer to be genuine. The email address he used is his business one.
There was never any intention on my part to usurp your position as the administrator of this site. Some members had expressed their dismay at the prospect of it closing down. I thought, mistakenly or otherwise, that the offer by someone else to take over was genuine.
It seems I was wrong to convey This offer to the site members, and I apologise for overstepping the mark.
Stay safe in the crazy world.
Kind regards
Vic

This site depends on new content being sent to the administrator i.e. me to include in the site. So how about looking through your cupboards, lofts, sheds and under your beds for some Aden material and sending it to me. What else do you have to do in lock down.

C'mon Guys!
If you want the site to continue, then Jonathan has told you what's needed.
How about some stories of your childhood in Aden? You may think that they might not interest anyone else, but you might be surprised! Any old pictures, school reports (that may raise a laugh or two!), any old stuff at all that relates to your time out there.
Anything that I have would not qualify for inclusion. I wasn't a BP Aden Kid, as I've pointed out many times before.
So, unless you want to see the bpadenkids site disappear, contribute something, no matter how small or insignificant you may feel it is.
Respectfully yours
Vic

Hi Vic,
Thanks for explaining the situation. I do hope the site is able to continue as I have gained a lot of pleasure from reading the posts and relived many memories, as well as hearing about old friends and making new ones. Living in Aden in the 1960s was a landmark in my life and a time I shall never forget. I'm really grateful to all those who have worked so hard to keep the site going. Let's hope it stays!
Best regards,
Rosalind

Thanks, Jonathan. I don't have any photographs or other memorabilia with me in my current posting, but can access it at home at some future date. I can certainly contribute some stories and memories and will try to do so!
Best regards,
Rosalind

Thanks Rosalind!

Email: n606jp@gmail.com