ibtok.com discussion forum

Discussion is an exchange of knowledge ;
argument an exchange of ignorance

Robert Quillen

ibtok.com discussion forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does Experience Always lead to Knowledge?

Does Experience Always lead to Knowledge?
-I think it does most of the time but not neccesarily...
-I need to argue that it doesn't always..
-It's like when we experience everyday activities, such as breathing, we don't necessarily gain knowledge every time we breathe
-Is experience overrated as a way of knowing??

what do u think...??

Re: Does Experience Always lead to Knowledge?

The more you breathe, the stronger your lungs become. You can hold your breath longer and your individual breaths will bring with them more air for your body. When you're just breathing "accidentally," you may not know or care about what's happening (everyone takes it for granted, we breathe in thirteen pints a minute, it's hard to pay attention to our breathing), but when you are actually working on improving your lungs and how well you can hold oxygen in, you make noticeable improvements. You don't need to feel, recognize, or be aware of in any way the knowledge you or your muscles are gaining from breathing to make each breath help the next in a very, very small way.

Of course that was just an example, but I can't think of anything that doesn't induce some kind of knowledge the more the action is done. With most things, we have know idea how we gained particular knowledge, but we know that it came simply from time, and we are grateful that the knowledge somehow came to us.

When you buy a brand new computer, chances are you aren't going to read through all of the instructions. Reading the booklet would be an explicit and obvious way to gain a lot of knowledge and experience (the more I think about it, I don't want to deny they go hand in hand) in a short amount of time. I bought a new MacBook over the summer, and I didn't even crack open the instruction booklet, seeing as how Apple's main selling point is how user-friendly these computers are ("liek, ur so smart u can use a compy!!!11!1"). Seven months later, I know every virtual nook and cranny of this laptop, I know all the silly little shortcuts and hotkeys and even made some of my own, I have developed some kind of mechanism to charge the battery in intervals that won't interfere with my laptop-requiring schedule, I have somehow found the best freeware programs to make my computer freakin' sweet (it's not a clinical term but we know what it means), and now that instruction booklet can help feed a large fire during the winter.

I guess I would call that "implicitly" learning things, where you know you're learning through time and experience but nothing ever clicks where you say "ooohhh, cools."

I can't run through every scenario where experience and knowledge are clearly connected, but I also can't think of a single one where they aren't.

Oops, that's "no idea," not "know."

But how deep is that knowledge?

(Since I've already written this before and it erased itself, I'll give you the short version)

How can you define knowledge as only being the peripheral things that you learn from experience? Shouldn't knowledge encompass every aspect of the activity that you are trying to learn about? For example, breathing, when you breathe in and out, you learn that your chest goes in and out, but you have no knowledge of the processes happening in your body. You have no new knowledge of the arterioles and bronchioles that are exchanging oxygen for carbon dioxide. You don't even know why you need oxygen if you haven't been in a Bio class before. Experience does not always lead to knowledge, it can, but that gain of knowledge is not guaranteed.

School International School of Kenya

The breathing was an example where I assumed I live in a universe where knowledge or experience is gained in some way. I guess that is a bad example, but in an activity where experience is accumulated, I am sure knowledge comes along in some way. Confucious says (er, "say") that knowledge is acknowledging you know something and you don't know something else...But I think that is a description of wisdom or intelligence. You probably don't know that the "V" key is next to the "B" key on the keyboard, but you are also probably fairly adequate at touch-typing.

Well ofcourse experience leads to knowledge, they even say that experience is the best teahcher and you are probably like to learn more from just one experience than from a lifetime of learning. I beleive trial and error is a good way of learning in some cases so that you know for sure that a certain method does not work because you have tried it out yourself. In the response to the learning something from breathing air I think that has become just a sunconscious thing and we do it we are not aware of it but we do learn still, as we all know what kind of air is good and bad.

By the way, Empiricism is the idea that experience always leads to knowledge, while Rationalism is where reason leads to knowledge. They weren't made to contradict, but they can both fully apply to respective situations. In an instance where reason is required to gain knowledge, experience is not involved, and vice versa. So, it doesn't mean knowledge can only be gained by experience, but experience is definitely an expansion of knowledge.

I believe that you always learn from new experiences because they are new, so you learn or see something different than from before the experience. If you take the example of breathing it is not a new experience that is why we are no learning anything from it, but if we could remember are first breath there probably woud have been a new piece of knowledge that we aquired with it.

Experience always leads to knowledge. Whether you know it or not, when you experience something, it is stored somewhere in your brain because it becomes a memory. You learn from your memories depending one how much of an impact that memory has on you.

It is logical that experience gained by a person in some way would lead to some form of knowledge in what ever that person may have experienced. For example a child that sticks its finger into an electrical socket (and lives) would most likely never attempt to go near a socket again. Knowledge gained from that particular situation would be something along the lines of finger + socket= pain.
It seems that breathing has been used as an example in most of the responses to this discussion. Yes, once we have gone through the experience of our first breath we are most likely to continue breathing as somehow our brain has told us that this action must be carried out in order for us to survive, looking at this I guess one could say that the knowledge gained from this experience is the basic knowledge of survival.
I think that knowledge gained from experience also depends on what “knowledge” you think should have been gained from the experience. For example of course the first time you breathe you do not know the details of what exactly goes on inside your body, but your first experience with a biology book will most likely give you that knowledge.
Experience will always lead to some form of knowledge.

Experience will always lead to knowledge. In the event that something bad occurs but you cant remember it you will still have gained some sort of knowledge from this and will instinctivly be aware and maybe prepared if this same situation arouse. Even the most insignificant experience will leave someone with some sort of added knowledge.

School International School of Kenya

I think that experience always does lead to knowledge. I say this because without the experience you would never be able to realte to what happened. It is only once that you have experinced something that you what it is all about. You teach yourself from that experinece what you feel as a perosn, and inturn that becomes your knowldege, what you have understood from the experience.

School International Schoo; Of kenya

I do think that experience leads to knowledge most of the time, whether it’s good or bad. If it’s a bad experience you usually learn form your mistakes and know what to do better next time in a similar situation. Any experience leads to knowledge since you learn something new from everything you do. In the case of breathing, the first time you take a breath you learn that it is vital for life and without this you can’t survive.

School ISK

Experience leads to the mistakes and mistakes leads to the knowledge and i think that your interest is important in raising both experience and knowledge if you did take attention to your work and assignment how you can recover more knowledge and experience

http://www.newskycars.com

School bzu

Students tend to make the case that in the moral realm knowledge acquired through experience is far better than a purely theoretical knowledge. The implication is that, like the investigative sciences, knowledge requires some sort of empirical verification before it can be accepted as true or reasonably certain. Lacking this, those who pronounce on personal moral issues such as abortion, contraception, marriage, or issues of reproductive technology, etc, are at best arm chair thinkers whom we needn't take too seriously, at least not until the evidence is in.
Perhaps what I am trying to say would be clearer if we talked about 'knowledge' rather than 'experience'. Experience is not itself of any value; it is not the memory of that experience or the thoughts about it which are of value but the knowledge which has been distilled from it. I suggested that it is possible to have a direct experience OF the absolute. It is possible then to know that there is unity. It is intrinsically impossible to communicate this experience to 'someone else' subsequently so that they may also know this to be so.

Travel Reviews
Autombile Reviews
Trade Reviews

Mistakes increased the knowledge while Experiences decreased the mistakes but basically we know that Knowledge is expertise, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject , what is known in a particular field or in total; facts and information; or awareness or familiarity gained by experience of a fact or situation.

Trade Reviews

I believe that it does. When you experience something you gain knowledge of something. Although you may not apply the knowledge you gain to make it wisdom, you still have gained that knowledge through your experience.