Discussion is an exchange of knowledge ;
argument an exchange of ignorance

Robert Quillen

ibtok.com discussion forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is time real?

Early in the 20th century Einstein revolutionised the scientific approach to the nature of time, postulating that it there is no such thing as an absolute time function... that time is different depending on how fast you travel... issues that the rest of the world is beginning to come to terms with... thus could we further ask, is time real?
or is it just some manmade notion, that would cease to exist if we ceased to consider it? when we say "time flew by", does it actually, and do we measure time, or do clocks measure time?

School cbgs

Re: Is time real?

I feel that this is a wonderful question becuase, as a teenager, I find that I'm always "lacking" time and trying to strech the time that I have to accomplish multiple tasks. Sometimes, a school day goes by so quickly and I wonder, "where has the time gone?" Other days seem to go by a second at a time, and by the time I get home, I feel like I've been away for a full 24 hours. Why is that? Why is it that sometimes a day flies by so quickly and others drag on and on for what seems like forever? I think it really has to do with our perception of time and how we feel during certain moments in our life. If we are enjoying ourselves, we do not pay any attnetion to how the time is going by, however, if we are in a situation that we cannot wait to get out of, all we do is watch the clock and that makes time "feel" like it's going by that much slower.
I also think that in a way, time does exist in the form of days. We cannot force the earth to stop rotating around the sun and make summer last longer or give a day more hours. However, time also exists as long as humans observe it. I feel that if the clock was never invented, we would have a more relaxed approach to time and how it is used.

School Trinity High School

Time changes with one's perception due to the amount that we think, beacuse we think at a frequency (10-12 hz) that increases and decreases depending on the amount we think, hence a lot of thinking occupies proprtionate time, and little thinking occupies likewise, making long thinking tiome seem to take long times and condense them to what seems like a few seconds, and vice-versa.

According to the bible, time was created by God, who lives outside of time and space. So, although time exists (in all its relative forms), it was not just 'there', it has been created and can cease.

Hope this has helped in some way. i know it isn't much but maybe it can lead to something else...?

good luck

School ccgs