Discussion is an exchange of knowledge ;
argument an exchange of ignorance

Robert Quillen

ibtok.com discussion forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can maths solve eveything?

maths has always been used as a form of logic to find answers and to use axiom theorems to give truths what do you think.

Re: Can maths solve eveything?

math is a concept based on numbers and theorems which have been proven true over time (inevitably, what has been "proven true" has also changed over time). Math helps us to order and therefore comprehend the universe. As to whether it solves everything, i beleive the answer is no. math is merely an attempt to order the universe, not necessarily solving everything if anything at all. math solves mathematical problems - no doubt. it does not, however, solve the problem of global abject poverty and the problems associated with it - for example. Then again, does everything even need solving?

I think that maths can indeed solve everything. This question is what drives much the research done in math and the related fields such the chaos theory and string theory. However I think that many of these endeavors are trying to explain things that are too complicated for people to fathom. This presents a problem since as the way math is done today, it tries to explain things in a simple manner, I think that the way reality works cannot be explained that simply.

I do not believe math can solve everything. To find out the distance from Texas to California yes. Or how many teaspoons in 5 tablespoons, of course. Those are simple mathematical problems that need a mathematical answer. However, there are other aspects of life that don’t need math. For instance, why a certain person is attracted to someone. You can’t figure that out by using math. There isn’t an equation to figuring out right and wrong. You can’t say be faced with a decision such as cheating on an exam and plug it into an equation to figure out the correct course of action. Somethings are supposed to be left unknown or solved by our own human senses. Math can only take us so far.