ibtok.com discussion forum

Discussion is an exchange of knowledge ;
argument an exchange of ignorance

Robert Quillen

ibtok.com discussion forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is knowledge considered to be 'knowledge' if you cannot describe it?

Thats my question.

School SWC

Re: Is knowledge considered to be 'knowledge' if you cannot describe it?

I presume you know the difference between left and right, but you cannot descibe it without giving examples. Your belief is justfiied and true, although with left and right the knowledge is analytic.

A synthetic example is color; could you describe the difference between red and blue to a blind person who had never seen color?

School PV

A fine example, David. To be sure, if by describe you mean to try to show another what something is through a form of communication, then know this: at this point in time, we, as a human race have not accomplished a perfect and thorough form of communication. As such, it would be impossible to truly and thoroughly describe anything fully to another. Unless we develop technology to share our memories with others, we will never be able to correctly and thoroughly describe something to someone else. Until then, our human methods of description will remain relative, and thus meager.

failure on trisiten's part to sound smart...

David, I would appreciate it if you would do two things. First, please do not use the same name as me. Maybe the impersonation was accidental, maybe not; I really don't know. Second, try saying something intelligent (ie. constructive).

Tristian, you remind me of a problem I have faced in debates. Knowledge like left and right cannot be communicated verbally... indeed, it must be demonstrated or experienced. We were debating the possibility of dimensions beyond the three we see, when the question came up; can we not imagine them because they are not possible? Or we just haven't experienced them and cannot describe them verbally?

On a similar note, are other colors possible?

School PV

this is all i hear...meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep

Exactly how I feel about you, my evil twin. Luckily, you cannot imitate my IP address.

School PV

They are possible, but we have to be able to see x-rays.