Discussion is an exchange of knowledge ;
argument an exchange of ignorance

Robert Quillen

ibtok.com discussion forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is this world real? Prove it!

Try to prove this world is real! Be open-minded! I will say this: the world is not real. Now try and refute me.

Re: Is this world real? Prove it!

Whether it is real or illusive, it is as real to me as it is to you. Whatever it is, its in the same position as all of us and i share its indifference.

Whether it is real or illusive, it is as real to me as it is to you. Whatever it is, its in the same position as all of us and i share its indifference

You say whether it is real or illusive? It most definitely is illusive. If it truly is as real to you as it is to me, then you would not vascillate upon the truth. It is not in the same position as all of us at all. We are trapped inside of it, and it surrounds us, imprisons us. Occasionally, we will glimpse a small vestige of reality. Truly, we are not in the same postion at all. And should you realize the truth, you would want to be set free, just as
I, and your indifference will only be a memory of someone else, another life.

Okay, I am joking about this world not being real. However, I am not joking about the fact that it is a prison. It is most assuredly a prison for the spirit, and we humans eventually condition ourselves not to display outbursts of spirit and emotion because the laws of this world chain us to the ground. We can only try to show our spirit through art, the door that we paint is one to our emotion, and those that are shown it try to open it. Few ever do, however, but those that do experience the same emotion that was putinto the painting.

I could prove it the way that CSI detectives prove that someone killed someone else - it was there at the time... now, in MY time, its here... and evidence such as our senses confirm that for me... however... TOK being TOK, we must dive deeper into the 'could possibly have been' or 'what if' side of things. Okay, what if we are part of one big imagination that can think for ourselves... well, we cannot prove that... but, lets say - using the official TOK definition - that we are real as this is a true, justified belief. It's true because we CAN truthfully say we exist - whether it be to ourselves or someone else - our existance is known... it's justified because we can make reasoning and show how (but no why) we got here... and its a belief.. because we BELIEVE that we are here! well.. those who dont have overly radical ideas...
then again, we could look at it as though it is a magical situation. we think someone pulling a flower from your own underwear is magic because we are pretty sure of ourselves that it wasn't there before hand so some other sort of force would have put it there. its justified through the term magic and we believe it happened because we saw it... funny how simplistic situations can be put to the scale of us!

One cannot justify their own existence, but they know they exist. Try it yourself, and you'll notice that all of your attempts are merely descriptions of feelings and stimuli. However, the knowledge that we are greater then the world around us is the piece that makes us exist. This knowledge is inapplicable to English, but it is a feeling of superiority, whether you are concious of it or not. This feeling of superiority is often the first step towards enlightening oneself with the ability to see the world from a purely observational point of view, like a good listener, only that you use all of your senses. This superior feeling has an unknown source, though I suspect that the ability to conciously feel it is determined by the realization that being a part of this world is not all we are a part of, but that we are something greater, literally in God's image ( though not His magnitude), outside of this reality. Why do you think that you sometimes fell that you can do anything, only to repress the feeling because you belive that you cannot, or that you actually tried and could not? Where do we get such feelings? Why do we get them? If anyone else can answer this, please do so, I would love another viewpoint.

feelings and stimuli that our senses perceive ARE justification for our existence. they may not be the universal irrefutable prove that you are talking about but IT DOESN'T MATTER! We live our daily lives like billions of people and creatures have before and that is that. Of course when humans become aware of their insignificance in the big scheme of things they are going to question their existence. GET OVER IT!
as for being superior to your surroundings. what is that all about? it is natural for an individual to have a sense of his or her own importance in the world but superiority? Give me a break.

So all your world is is external stimuli, and when you are deprived of them, then what? How does that not matter? This is a small question, but, through the Chaos Theory will build and gnaw at our minds until we are forced to go and search the answer. So you say about our lives, but how closely have we lived our life to theirs? The small changes over time in our world have made our lives much more different than in the past, with new ideas and discoveries we have realized that we can change the world around us significantly. We do not question our existence on that fact, we question our existence on our felt superiority, and we try to find if we can be greater. Why do you think we do not feel superior? Do you not have a sense of superiority to animals and even the next person? Everyone does. How about plants? don't you feel that they are more objects than living creatures, and couldn't possibly match your abilities? Do you not try to find a way to be unique?

what do u mean by "real"?
existance / truth / or what?
cuz it really depends on that ...

By real, I mean the ultimate truth, the one that is unaffected by perspective; whatever is real or not is real or not, whether one knows that it is there or not.

Apart from the ultimate one; we do not even know whater there is a truth or not. So this must be discussed first .
In my opinion, thruth is present; but there is no certain truth depending on the fact that people could have different ways of thinking which lead them to different thruths.
as to the "world's reality"(so called reality), world is real so that we can discuss and think of it.
(this is an interesting subject bytheway congratulations )

To say that this world is real without proof is easily refutable. For example, what if the world as we know is only a reality generated by something, and that the real world is outside of this virtual prison, an example famously portrayed in the Matrix. In this case, real refers to something not virtual.

Whether the world is real or not, everyone has their own opinon on it and appear to believe that this world is infact real. We live on it and we think we know that this world is real, perhaps it isn't but it is the scientific facts that we base our thoughts on, leading us to believe that this world is real, whether it is or whether it isn't.

It doesn't matter if the universe is real or not, because either way we still have to experience our entire life in our "reality." This makes the issue of whether it actually is "reality" irrelevant because it is the only reality we know, and thus the only one we can experience. Even if it's not real, so what? How will that change my life? If it does it certainly won't be for the better. Imagine if the Common People (who tend not to think for themselves) realized? It would create mass hysteria and a complete lack of morality would ensue, for if the world does not exist, how can crime, justice, emotion, pleasure, pain, etc exist?

School isk

The world is real. Many people think that the world is a prison, i agree to you to an extent because of all the rules that we have to follow, but the Earth is better than anywhere else. where else will you go?
You go into outer space, there's no oxygen. you are now trapped in a worse prison. You go to another planet, its another prison.
the world is real and it is not a prison. the world is too big for it to be a prison, there is still so much that we do not know about our world and yet, you call it a prison.
if the world is a prison, where do you find freedom?
and if the world isn't real, why are we here?

Now that I'm older and smarter, lets see...

Yes the world is real. If you were to say it was all in your mind, let me shoot you dead. I assure you, by the time you're gone, you'd realize that, crap, it's real! Try to find a way around THAT.