Return to Website

Movers & Shakers Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Movers & Shakers Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pillow Top vs Orthopedic

Pillow Top
A pillow top is a surface layer of soft material that is stitched and packed into the cover. This provides a soft as a cloud feel to the surface of the mattress.

There are multiple types of pillow tops, though the most popular recently is a memory foam pillow top. A memory foam pillow top has a thin layer of soft memory foam that is stitched into the cover. Though memory foam is a popular material for pillow tops, you can also find them with latex, cotton, cashmere, wool, or goose down/feathers.

Pillow top mattresses generally have spring support systems in the middle of the mattress, though there could be a pillow top on a memory foam mattress as well (it is just not very common).

Pros: A plush feel on the top of the mattress that pillows the body on top of the support layers.

Cons: The pillow top alone will not make a good bed -- the materials used in the pillow top and the rest of the mattress can sag or have issues if they are lower quality.

Orthopedic
Orthopedic is a term that in the context of mattresses means supporting joints, bones, and the overall body. It is commonly used for mattresses that help with spinal alignment and recovery from joint or back issues.

In this way, there is no one material that is certified orthopedic, and the term can be used my manufacturers and marketers to help sell their mattresses.

For this reason, it is important to do additional research on any bed that claims to be orthopedic to make sure that it will actually help straighten the spine and alleviate pain.

Pros: For mattresses that stand true to the name, pain alleviation and better posture are some of the benefits.

Cons: It is difficult to decipher the truth from marketing on orthopedic mattresses.

Re: Pillow Top vs Orthopedic

I’ve been sleeping on a downy pillow for two months and am very exhausted. Prior to this, I also bought such a pillow, but not that sophisticated as this one. I want to try ortorex, this an orthopedic pillow, have you tried? I think that you need to sleep properly and take care of your neck, so maybe orthopedic pillows can help with it?