Return to Website

PJ's Guitar Chords Forum

Welcome to my forum. Feel free to post a message, request, response or share an idea!

PJ's Guitar Chords Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Guitar neck width

Due to size of my fingers I can only play a spanish accoustic guitar as others I have tried are to narrow at the top end of the neck. I would like to play steel string guitar anybody else have this problem? is the solution to fit steel strings to my current nylon strung guitar if so are there any consequences to doing this?

Re: Guitar neck width

Its not a problem to play a Gut strung guitar, in fact in sessions there is a lovely variation in tone with other steel strung guitars. One of my friends stage name Bonny Goo( now in Australia ) who is a very good singer songwriter plays a classical guitar and when we played simple fingerstyle together it was very good. So just because you cannot at this stage play a steel strung guitar doesent mean the music is no good. However I had the same problem when learning and i looked around until I found a washburn which had a slightly broader neck and fitted a new slightly wider nut at the top of the neck which gave me about 2mm more width. Now after 20 years of playing I can lift any guitar and play. I sing irish folk and wouldnt be a great guitar player but I can hold an audience and entertain which is what I want to do.
So Good luck and keep up the practise
Billy J Island Folk

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Due to size of my fingers I can only play a spanish accoustic guitar as others I have tried are to narrow at the top end of the neck. I would like to play steel string guitar anybody else have this problem? is the solution to fit steel strings to my current nylon strung guitar if so are there any consequences to doing this?

Re: Guitar neck width

I have a Eros 612 which is also known as an Eko Ranger 12, and you may have guessed is a 12 string. The neck on this guitar is wider than a standard neck and the guitar plays fine as a 6 string.

These guitars were made in the 60's & 70's, have a great sound. There seems to be one or two on ebay at all times in the uk, and they are not expensive. A hidden gem of a guitar if you ask me.