Return to Website

Horse Crazy Web Forum

Questions,queries and suggestions covering all aspects of horses and ponies. PLEASE NOTE: Please take extra care not to give out too many personal details. Any messages giving details of personal phone numbers will be deleted. This action is taken for your personal safety.

UNFORTUNATLY THIS FORUM IS TURNING AWAY FROM ITS ORIGINAL PURPOSE. THE TOPIC IS HORSES & THAT IS WHY THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE COME HERE, HOWEVER IT IS BEING OVER CROWDED BY NON-HORSE TOPICS. PLEASE KEEP IT HORSEY. NON HORSE MESSAGES WILL BE DELETED.

Horse Crazy Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What should beginners know about riding?

WoW!
All without a lesson! That sounds amazing! Who knows where my toe-dipping into the horse world might take me!

Liz

Re: Re: What should beginners know about riding?

A word for the wise Liz. Knowledge is power, and so is experience. It takes a while to gain "Horse Sense" so to speak. Never listen to anyone who tells you to either hit or shout at your horse. That is never the right way to handle it. Never give in even when it seems the going is really tough - it always works out in the end. Look out for a book called "Horses Gaits and Movements" (I can't remember the name of the author unfortunately) It's worthwhile learning to understand why your horse moves the way they do and how. I'll explain a little more sometime soon, when I have a bit more time. Hiya Cat! Hope everything is going okay with you and your endevours. Anyway got to go and sort out my girls with dinner.

All the best

Liz CG

Re: Re: Re: What should beginners know about riding?

hi!

I got back from my holiday a little while ago. The horse trek was great!! I'm glad I had learned a little about what to expect. I thought it was a fantastic way to have a taste of what horse-riding might be like. I nearly slid off sideways when we tried the trot! That was a bit scary cos it feels so high up.

Thanks for all your help! - Liz CG, I get what you mean about gaining horse-sense. I remember when I first got my dog, we'd sit in the living room, both of us wondering what the other's next move was going to be. It was all a bit tense initially! It felt the same getting on the horse for my first time. I had no idea what he was about to do - if he lunged his head forward I'd think he was trying to shake me off the reins so he could do his own thing!!

Cheers loads! I'm definately going to learn to ride properly. Just need to find the money for lessons now... hmm...

Liz

Re: Re: Re: Re: What should beginners know about riding?

Hiya Liz! Glad to know you had such a nice time on your holiday. Even if you just have a lesson once a month it's better than nothing at all. E-mail me if you have any queries and don't let anyone give you long lectures about what you should and shouldn't do. Find someone who lives near that is knowledgeable and would be willing to help you out with the practical side of owning and riding a horse. Ignore the know-it-alls - you'll find they're talking loads of hot air and not much else. Have loads and loads of fun with your new found interest.

All the best

Liz CG

There is tons of things you should know! You should always where a helmet and keep your heels down! I dont know what stile your ridings sooo

You need to just relax and think about something else. If you are a beginner then chances are you will have a leader anyway. Its good fun so enjoy