Return to Website

Horse Crazy Web Forum

Questions,queries and suggestions covering all aspects of horses and ponies. PLEASE NOTE: Please take extra care not to give out too many personal details. Any messages giving details of personal phone numbers will be deleted. This action is taken for your personal safety.

UNFORTUNATLY THIS FORUM IS TURNING AWAY FROM ITS ORIGINAL PURPOSE. THE TOPIC IS HORSES & THAT IS WHY THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE COME HERE, HOWEVER IT IS BEING OVER CROWDED BY NON-HORSE TOPICS. PLEASE KEEP IT HORSEY. NON HORSE MESSAGES WILL BE DELETED.

Horse Crazy Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cold back

My horse was and is very "cold back"when i got him,he has changed a lot and got much better, this is what i did, 24hours turn out.feeding hay net while gromming and tacking,glusomite supplument. and a long warm up when riding walk trot canter long and low outline for about 20mins before working.doesew any one else have any more ideas

Re: Cold back

get a physio to look at him and check the fit of your saddle my young gelding was 'cold backed' too after speaking to my physio she said that there is no such 'conditon' and that it is pain or a memory of pain. try a thick pad such as a polly pad.

Re: Re: Cold back

I have a physio come here once a year, We live in Tenerrife so even the dentist comes here once a year from england.It is true i have heard that cold back can come from a memorey, when a foal is born the ribs are the wideist part these can crack, they heal on there own the the memerory is there, my horse is a large 16.3 hands warm blood, so perhaps he had a bad birth,

Re: Cold back

As a massage therapist, i come across cold backs a lot, Supplements wont help, unless he has any other joint problems.

Cold backs are just that, the horse reacts when you put a saddle on or get on yourself, as there is a sudden change & often the back isnt warmed up properly. Its like if you suddenly pull the girth up too tightly, instead of gradually easing it up.

For cold backs the best thing to do is to warm the back up, take your time, give him a firm grooming over his back muscles, and some massage with the flats of your hands, then gradually slide on the numham, then saddle. At this point you can walk him around for a while, or lunge him, then carefully gently sit on his back. By now he should be ok. If not maybe more time lunging him will do. If you want any further information, email me SueArcherMassage@hotmail.com