Return to Website

25th Infantry Division Association Forum

Welcome to our forum. This service allows association members and visitors to communicate with each other by posting messages that can be responded to within the forum. All inappropriate postings (profanity, personal attacks, sales pitches) will be removed, and the poster of such messages banned. Note that we can't archive these postings as we have done with the guestbook.

25th Infantry Division Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finding information

My name is Weston Umstead. I'm 16 years old and in search of my grandfather's WW2 history. I know he was in the 25th Infantry and was in the mortar division. I was wondering where I could find out more information on him. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Finding information

Hi, Weston,
My name is David Kumagai, I'm 51 years old and my father was in the 25th Infantry Division in WWII. People don't seem to respond to this BB very much. I just saw your inquiry and thought I'd pass along my $.02 worth.

I'm assuming you have no access to direct info (your grandfather or father)and that you've contacted NPRC through their website. If the latter is the case, you've likely been informed that the fire in 1973 destroyed many WWII vets' records (like my father's). Beyond that, you're officially out of luck. But if you are serious and curious, write letters to everybody. Family, family friends, organizations, etc. If you persevere, you will pick up bits and pieces, threads to follow. This may sound like dumb advice, but you may be surprised what you will find.

Speaking from my own 2+ years of searching, I know more than I ever thought possible and less than I would like. Just keep asking, and ask EVERYBODY. Best of luck. People of that generation didn't speak much about their experiences, but we should work to honor them for what they did and who they were, not least because they enabled us to be who we are. Let me know if you have any questions I may help you with.

-David Kumagai

Re: Re: Finding information

I'm wondering if you know how to obtain unit rosters for the 25th I.D./161st, Company L. That's the unit my Great Uncle Angelo S. Viale served in from 1941-1945. Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm trying to find men who remember him.