Return to Website

25th Infantry Division Association Forum

Welcome to our forum. This service allows association members and visitors to communicate with each other by posting messages that can be responded to within the forum. All inappropriate postings (profanity, personal attacks, sales pitches) will be removed, and the poster of such messages banned. Note that we can't archive these postings as we have done with the guestbook.

25th Infantry Division Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WWII Manilla 25th Infantry Division

Hello,

I would like to contact anyone who remembers my Uncle.
His name was Capt. Lewis Griffin Compton, Jr. from Corsicanna, Texas.
He served with the 64th Field Artillery Battalion, 25th Infantry Division. He is buried at the Manilla American Cemetery Manilla, Phillippines. He was awarded the Bronze Star. I do not know how or where he died. He died 15-Mar-45 several months before the war ended and during some of the heaviest fighting.
Any information would be appreciated.

THANKS

Re: WWII Manilla 25th Infantry Division

Pete:

Sorry I can't help you with particulars but I have some facts. My father, Leo J. Schmidt of the 25th, 161st Infantry was seriously wounded in a Japanese counter attack on Jan 25, 1945 in the battle for San Manuel, Philippines. Although he laid on the battlefield for what must have seemed forever, they got him out safely back behind the lines. San Manuel fell three days later.

Look for a book called “Across The Dark Islands” by Floyd Radike. Although it’s about the 161st in particular, you’ll get a good idea of what things were like for all the 25th Infantry. And you may find out more about Mar 15th when your Uncle was taken from us.

The Philippines were horrific at times, being one of the last stands of Japanese heavy armament and troops. On the day my Father was wounded, there were 50% casualties in his regiment. My Father was given a Purple Heart and the Philippines Liberation medal which I’m sure your Uncle received as well, more than likely posthumously.

You can be sure your Uncle was a tough, hard-nosed soldier who gave his all. The 25th was given the name “Tropic Lightning” for the swift and sure way they carried out their missions.

The book I mentioned is not expensive, I got it from Amazon for $8 or $9. I got to “see” my Father fighting at Guadalcanal, New Georgia, the Solomons, and Luzon. I hope it helps paint a picture of your Uncle's days in the South Pacific.

Dale Schmidt