Return to Website

25th Infantry Division Association Forum

Welcome to our forum. This service allows association members and visitors to communicate with each other by posting messages that can be responded to within the forum. All inappropriate postings (profanity, personal attacks, sales pitches) will be removed, and the poster of such messages banned. Note that we can't archive these postings as we have done with the guestbook.

25th Infantry Division Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Angelo S. Viale 161st Company L 1941-1945

I am searching for anyone who may have known my Great Uncle Angelo S. Viale, or anyone who served or is related to anyone who served in Company L. Angelo was a private from Martinez, CA when he entered service on August 6, 1941 and was discharged as a Staff Sergeant in 1945. You can see a picture of him on my website www.ww2tags.org. He fought on Guadalcanal, New Georgia and Luzon. For actions on April 2, 1945 near Kapintalan, Luzon, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star with two oak leaf clusters and the Bronze Star. He was wounded twice and received 2 Purple Hearts. On April 2, 1945, as a Sergeant, he ran out into the middle of mortar and small arms fire to rescue his buddy after they were ambushed, then he took charge of the two platoons, who were leaderless for some reason, and organized a litter party to rescue the remaining dead and wounded. He then organized a skillful retreat without losing any additional men. I want to find men who were with him that day to fill in the gaps that the DSC Citation had, such as why Angelo, a Sergeant, had to take charge of two platoons. Angelo passed away in 1995 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. So far, I've had no luck in finding men he served with. I have no pictures of his Company. Any information anyone can give on Company L would be greatly appreciated. Please email me, since I don't remember to check the forum very often. You can also phone me at (707) 362-0138.