Return to Website

25th Infantry Division Association Forum

Welcome to our forum. This service allows association members and visitors to communicate with each other by posting messages that can be responded to within the forum. All inappropriate postings (profanity, personal attacks, sales pitches) will be removed, and the poster of such messages banned. Note that we can't archive these postings as we have done with the guestbook.

25th Infantry Division Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for anyone who served with my grandfather, John Walter Deonier in Korean War

Lisa Coats,
I don't know if I can help and I do not have a specific recollection of your grandfather but he and I might have been in the same place at the same time. It's possible we knew the same people I suppose. I joined the Hd & Hd Co of the 25th Division in Korea in January 1954 and went to Hawaii with the Division in September (I believe), 1954. I remained at Schofield Barracks with Division Hd & Hd Co until November 1955. I was a cook in Korea (Officers Mess) and a cook at Div. Hd & Hd Co in Hawaii. My wife and I have returned to Hawaii several times; Hawaii is dramatically different than in 1954-55 but Schofield Barracks looks much the same. Regards to your grandfather and I would enjoy talking (or writing) about our Tropic Lightning experiences if this would be useful.
John Fahy (Sp4 ret)
cell #: 508 612-9663
email: menoj17@aol.com

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am searching for anyone who served with my grandfather, John Walter Deonier (a.k.a.: J.W.), in Korea. I am trying to find anyone who may have old rosters or any paperwork related to their service and unit that includes him. It is for identity verification. The State of Missouri now requires birth certificates for driver licenses. His was destroyed in a fire in Wa****a County Courthouse, Oklahoma, many years ago. We attempted to get a copy of his 201 file from St. Louis but they said it was most likely destroyed in a fire many years ago also. I am interested in any pictures also. I know from my aunt that he served in the tail end of WWII in Germany, and that he ETS'd in 1955. He was a Corporal in rank when he ETS'd according to my Grandmother. I know that he received a Bronze Star for actions in Korea. He also suffered a broken back from an accident involving a Jeep. He has a plaque that he received that says 25th I.D. HQ & HQ Co. Any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. My Grandfather doesn't like to talk much about his experiences so it is really difficult to get information from him. My Grandmother believes that if we can locate any of his buddies and platoon members still alive that he would be thrilled to see them!

Re: Re: Looking for anyone who served with my grandfather, John Walter Deonier in Korean War

Please note my new email address :
jmeno17@aol.com

Re: Looking for anyone who served with my grandfather, John Walter Deonier in Korean War

Cecil F Nickelson was stationed at Scofield from 1954-1955. He was in charge of a group of men to rebuild Schofield. I am looking for anyone that may have known him. He was from St.Joseph, Illinois. He used to go to a bar at Pearl City called the Monkey Bar.
We are looking for info on anyone that served with him in Hawaii. He also was in Korea near the DMZ. Dad passed away on April 28, 2010. He would not talk much about Korea, but would talk about Hawaii. We are looking for pictures of him or anyone that knew his rank. Please contact Kathy Hamilton at kjhuhs76@yahoo.com