Return to Website

25th Infantry Division Association Forum

Welcome to our forum. This service allows association members and visitors to communicate with each other by posting messages that can be responded to within the forum. All inappropriate postings (profanity, personal attacks, sales pitches) will be removed, and the poster of such messages banned. Note that we can't archive these postings as we have done with the guestbook.

25th Infantry Division Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dwight Leroy Basey Spec4

My brother was Dwight Leroy Basey, he was killed in action in Vietnam in 1966. I don't know a lot about him, I was born in 67, but I hear stories and see photos and I know he was only 19 when he was killed. My father Lenard James Basey was alson in the Army, he was in Korea, WWII, Vietnam. My brother was a Spec4 and my dad was a Msgt. Anyone that knew either of them and would care to share some memories or photos with me, please respond. Thank you and God Bless for all that you have done.

Re: Dwight Leroy Basey Spec4

Hello Theresa

I knew Dwight very well as we both were in the same Co.together (CO B 1st 14th)You see Dwight, I and most of the guy's we were with in Vietnam had all been at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii together.
We had just about finished our tour in Vietnam when that faithful day Nov 19th 1966 arrived. I remember leaving our position that we had occupied the night before to go on a Search and Destroy mission..as we had done many, many times prior.
But my memory gets a bit vague from this point on as we walked into what I would call an ambush by North Vietnam Regulars,(Not VC) as we had encountered in most previous battles. I was shot myself that day along with Dwight and many others. Fortunately I lived to tell about it, Dwight and I believe 17 others weren't as lucky. All I remember in the battle itself is seeing Dwight with a machine gun giving em hell. A very Brave act I assure you.
All of my memory hasn't returned yet as to what all went on that day (I guess it's Gods way of helping you cope with the horrors you experience?)
But please know that your Brother was a valiant man,and I'm lucky to have been one of his Brothers and Comrades.
Every time I go to the wall, he and I still speak.

My deepest regrets go out to you Theresa ,that you never knew Dwight....He was special.

SGT. Allan Ayo......Your friend

Re: Re: Dwight Leroy Basey Spec4

Thank you for responding to my request. I am looking for photos, or more information on what kind of man he was. If you would kindly write me online or at hom P.O. Box 1614 Highland, Ca 92346 I would greatly appreciate it. I am on a mission to know one of the men who fought for our country so my children and I can live in freedom. Thanks to all of you for all that you have done. God Bless You all. Theresa

Re: Re: Re: Dwight Leroy Basey Spec4

I have more info on your brother. I knew him well. I was with him when we deployed from Hawaii and in Vietnam. I was there during the hostile action in Nov 66. Me cell phone number 253-970-6446 or email to the email here. Thanks.

SSG Chester R. Wallace