Return to Website

25th Infantry Division Association Forum

Welcome to our forum. This service allows association members and visitors to communicate with each other by posting messages that can be responded to within the forum. All inappropriate postings (profanity, personal attacks, sales pitches) will be removed, and the poster of such messages banned. Note that we can't archive these postings as we have done with the guestbook.

25th Infantry Division Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BATTLE AT THE RACH LACH CANAL, 12 JULY 1967--A,B &C COMPANIES OF 1/27TH WOLFOUNDS

HERE IS WHAT I RECALL OF THAT DAY IF ANY OF YOUR CAN RECALL THAT DAY,PLEASE CONTACT ME, I WOULD LIKE TO HERE FROM ANYONE WHO WAS IN THE CANAL WITH ME.
WILLIAM BROWN
336-260-5043

Comment: I WAS 1ST PLATOON LEADER9 (MUSTANG CHARLIE ONE),CHARLIE COMPANY 1/27TH INFANTRY "WOLFHOUNDS". AT THE BATTLE OF THE RACH LACH CANAL, 7/12/1967, IN HAU HGHIA, PROVINCE NEAR CU CHI. OUR PLATOON WAS DOING PLATOON SIZES EAGLE FLIGHTS ASSAULTS FROM THE 116TH "HORNETS", WE HAD MADE ABOUT 3 OR 4 LZ'S THAT MORNING, WITH NO CONTACT. THE TACTIC THAT DAY WAS THAT AFTER THE PLATOON, HIT AND LZ, IT WOULD ASSAULT AN OBJECTIVE (A CANAL, OR OTHER VC HIDE OUT). AND AS SOON AND THE COPPERS LEFT OUR LZ THEY WOULD GO AND PICK UP ANOTHER PLATOON TO BE USED AS A REACTION FORCE. IF NO VC'S WERE FOUND AT THE 1ST LZ, THE SECOND LIFT WAS THEN DROP IN A NEW AREA. THE 3RD PLATOON OF THE COMPANY WAS WAITING AS A REACTION FORCE. ON OUR 3TH OR 4TH LZ OF THAT DAY, I HAD TOLD MY PLATOON THAT AFTER THAT LZ WE WOULD BREAK FOR LUNCH. BUT AS SOON AS WE HIT THE LZ THAT WAS COLD, WE BEGAN ASSAULTING THE RACH LACH CANAL, WE MIGHT HAVE HEARD A CALL THAT THE GUNSHIPS HAD SEEN MOVEMENT IN THE CANAL, AS WE ASSAULTED THE CANAL WE RECIEVED INCOMING FIRE. I CAN RECALL SEEING VC RUNNING ALONG THE CANAL AS WE WERE MOVING TOWARD THE CANAL. WHEN WE GOT TO THE CANAL, WITH NO WOUNDED OF KIAS, WE GOT PENED DOWN, DURING THE FIGHT ONE OF MY SGT. WAS HIT IN THE HELMENT WITH AN AK-47 ROUND THAT CIRCLE THE HELMET AND LINER AND EXITED THE REAR OF THE HELMET ( HE CONTINUTED THE FIGHT), ANOTHER MAN IN THE PLATOON WAS HIT IN THE LEG, FROM GUNSHIP FIRE.( THE GUNSHIPS WERE SUPPORTING TO OPERATIONS, BUT WE WERE IN VERY CLOSE CONTACT WITH THE VC.THE MAN THAT WAS SHOT AS LATER EVACATED. 2TH AND 3TH PLATOON (THE COMPANY COMMANDER CAPT. STILLMAN HIS COMMAND,F/O GROUP OF CHARLIE COMPANY WAS A RICE FIELD BEHIND OUR PLATOON'S POSITION. AFTER THE FIGHT, OUR PLATOON EVAUATE AND MOVED BACK ACCROSS THE TO THE MAIN BODY OF THE COMPANY USING COVERING FIRE FROM OUR PLATOON, THE GUNSHIPS AND OUR COMPANY. WHILE MOVING ACCROSS THE RICE FIELD, MY SELF AND WOLFOUND NAME "PLUNKETT" FROM HAWAII WAS HIT WITH A SMALL PIECE OF METAL FROM A RIFLE GRENADE FIRED BY THE VC. THIS GRENADE LANDED ABOUT 10 TO 15 FT. IN THE WATER OF THE RICE FIELD NEAR US. PLUNKETT WAS CARRYING AN M-79, AND HE WAS VERY GOOD WITH IT. AFTER WE REJOINED THE MAIN BODY OF CHARLIE COMPANY WE EVACUATED THE WOUNDED. THE VC CONTINUED TO SNAP THROUGH THE CANAL AND ONE OF MY WOLFHOUNDS WAS HIT AND KILLED BY SNIPER FIRE. HE HAD ONLY BEEN IN THE PLATOON FOR FEW WEEKS. AFTER THE ACTION, I RECALL SERVERAL PILOTS FOR THE HORNETS WALKING ON OPERATIONS WITH US TO GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF PROBLEMS OF WORKING WITH GROUND TROOPS. IF ANYONE RECALL THIS DAY AND BATTLE I WOULD LIKE TO HERE FROM YOU. I JUST RETURNED FROM MY 1ST WOLFHOUND REUNION, AND I MET A FEW OF THE WOLFHOUNDS THAT WAS AT THE BATTLE OF THE RACH LACH CANAL, 12 JULY 1967 WILLIAM I. BROWN MUSTANG CHALRLIE ONE

Re: BATTLE AT THE RACH LACH CANAL, 12 JULY 1967--A,B &C COMPANIES OF 1/27TH WOLFOUNDS

Bill, I too remember the Rach Lach engagement. As the 1st plt. B Co. we were dropped right at the egde of the canal where the water was waist deep. We crossed the canal and found cover to set up a blocking position. I also remember the problems with friendly fire due the closeness of our positions and the enemy in between. As darkness came on we knew it would be a long night. I remember too that the waters there were some of the most leach infested that we had yet encountered. It would be nice to hear from the guy from Hdqt. Co. finance that got on a chopper thinking he was returning to Div. base camp only to be dropped with us in the middle of the action and the middle of the water with his arms full of a stack of files. I hope he's still out there somewhere and enjoying being able to relate that story.