Return to Website

Welcome to Dog Companies Forum

Feel free to post a message or read what all we are talking about.  Most topics here will involve information pertaining to the reenacting world and WWII history.  Though any radical or distasteful post will be deleted as soon as possible.  Come in with a light hearted attitude and a will to learn.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Enlisting

I am headed to the Alabama area very soon, November to be exact and I will be there for a few years. Any info or advice for me. I have wanted to get into the WW2 reenactment for some time and feel your unit is for me.

Looking at gear now and prices but won't be able to show up till the fall/winter...go figure.

Thanks for any info you have. Oh and I am 32 by the way, in the army 13 years....EOD guy.

-Jeff-
Email: jcmcleanster@gmail.com

Re: Enlisting

I am not sure exactly what advice you are looking for but we are willing to help. You will need some essentials like an M42 or M43 uniform, jump boots or double buckle boots, a helmet, web gear and mussette bag. At the Front and What Price Glory are some places to start looking if you have not already. They have links to other vendors for various things as well. If you do not have a weapon yet, we may be able let you borrow one until you do. You will need to get blank ammo - Swanson's Blanks or Atlantic Wall blanks are some places to look - depending on what weapon you have. Many people have Garands or carbines. If there is something specific you want to know, then do not hesitate to ask. Heady - chime in if I forgot something.

Well thats a good start, I want to at least get the basic uniform stuff before i get down that way. And I am alos looking for good references...aside from BOB's which is great but any good books like osprey or titles that will help me out with the wear and look of the GI's of that time.

But that is a good start. Thanks. Oh and the garand...where the heck can I get one that is not 1000 dollars...I am looking in the worng places I hope.

Jeff

Re: Re: Enlisting

Yup, Garands can cost that much now. However, try the CMP. If you are just looking for one for reenacting, you can get one there. Also, you may be able to find one at a gun show cheap. You want to get one that you do not mind getting beat up.

As far as references go, at least get Government Issue Collector's Guide - US Army European Theater of Operations by Henri-Paul Enjames and/or its companion D-Day Troopers, The Americans by Christophe Deschodt. The following are all by a guy named Michel de Trez and are all excellent: At the Point of No Return: Pictorial History of the American Paratrooper in the INvasion of Normandy; American Warriors: Pictorial History of the American Paratroopers Prior to Normandy; First Airborne Task Force; Sainte-Mere-Eglise: Photographs of D-Day.

You can find all of these on Amazon, or elsewhere.

I forgot to mention, check out our Links page. It has vendors and other links that have good information.

So who should I link up with when I get down to Bama? Thanks for the info Eagle.

Jeff

Well, the CO lives in Alabama. What part are you going to?

HUnutsville...he contacted me by the way live that area as well. I am an EOD guy in RL and was thinking about doing a demo guy in your unit...you need em? I have a colection of reenactment inert stuff already. And am fairly knowledgable in that area.

Jeff

Sure, we can use an explosives man.