BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Silent Valley

Hi Everyone
I hate to be a damp squib re the radio theory being the reason why the valley was thus named......as a young airman, and a new driver too boot I really thought that I was the bees knees in my Cortina and as such I was pulled over twice in the 'valley' by the Redcaps for exceeding the speed limit, once during the day and once at night......on both occasions the radio in their Landrover was working as they radioed in with my 'service' details and the reason for the 'stop' The stop in daylight was towards the Falaise Camp area, but the night stop was bang in the middle..... so there you have it radios did work in the valley!!

I do remember however being given the experience of listening to the deafening silence there, no crickets, birds or even the sound of the wind was in evidence. This was experienced again when Chris Spragg and myself walked the entire length for a scouting badge one afternoon.......

Regards
Roddy Wade

Email: rodwade@chelseachop.fsnet.co.uk

Re: Silent Valley

I had also heard of the radio silence theory and drove my VW through the valley with a Zenith radio on the passenger seat and had absolutely no problem with reception on MW!

Email: brian.redfern@c2i.net

Hello Roddy,
You will not remember me, but I am Chris Spraggs sister ( 7 years younger).
I came across this web site today, how excited I was to see your name and many others that I recognise as being friends of Chris.
Jeepers, all those years ago, obviously my dementia is not that bad!!!
Sadly, Chris died of cancer in 1990 at the age of 41. Leaving a wife and three lovely daughters.
I have sat here with tears tripping me, overwhelmed by what I have read and seeing names that had long gone from my memory, but have all started flooding back.
My Mum and Dad are now both gone, but we have for years always spoken about the fantastic life we had in Aden.
Its at times like this that I realise how fantastic the web is, all of us with so many memories to share and without it,no way of contacting each other.

I was amazed at you remembering Mum and Dads Mercedes and your trip to Silent Valley with Chris. Oh...happy days.
Jaynexx

Email: jayne.bree@ntlworld.com

Hi Jayne

Is this you at the right side of the picture ?

http://www.bpadenkids.com/images/tesky/img078.jpg

Best wishes

Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net, roffensian@comcast.net

Hello Jonathan,
Oh my God, unfortunately 'Yes'. There has been no improvement over the years but at least you cant see me now!!!!
I am also in img 079, front left, wish that photo had been a bit kinder....but alas, no.!
The pretty girl with the lovely figure was Ann Stewart, believe or not I am still in touch with her. However she lives in Scotland and I am in Surrey so we have never met up.
I notice Margot Evans nee Allan set up a forum a couple of years ago, I am still in touch with her too, I don't think she ever mentioned this site to me.

Thanks for responding, this is so exciting.
J x

Hi Jayne
I am pleased I got the right person. The memory is fading a bit !! Unfortunately I have past and present photographs on this site. Still wondering where my hair went to! Your brother Chris was friend of my older brother Andrew. I just spoke to him regarding Chris. Jackie Degg and I are in touch with each other. We have been wondering for a long time where the Stewart family went to. I had heard Australia. Jackie and I were good friends with Ann's brother Jimmie. If you can put me in touch with Ann I will be very grateful. My e-mail address is on this page.
I ask everyone who finds the site to send in photographs articles etc . If you have anything you wish to share please send it to me.
Roddy Wade is a regular contributor to this site and no doubt will be in touch with you soon.

Glad you found us

Best wishes

Jonathan Wilkins

Dear Jayne
Who couldn't remember Chris' cute little sister.....
mind you as the years ran into the teenage years Chris and I began to look at girls in a different but albeit innocent way.......ahem, will contact you away from the forum if that is okay as I have a miriad of questions for you regarding my one and only true friend......Chris!
Great to have you find us
lots of love
Roddy

Email: rodwade@chelseachop,fsnt.co.uk

Hi Roddy,
Will look forward to hearing from you.
J xx

Hi Jonathan,
I have written to Ann as I don't have her email address, hopefully she will get in touch.

I have dozens of Aden photos but all on slides or cine film!! Will see what I can do.
Have been meaning to have them put on to dvd for ages, at least I have a good reason to now.

J xx

Hi Jayne
Thanks for getting in touch with Ann. I spoke to Jackie Degg over the weekend and told him you had found the web site. If you know of other BP Aden kids please tell them about the site. There are so many people I have lost touch with from Aden. Maybe one day we will all be connected again. I have some very old cine films and slides I converted recently. The films deterioate with time. Mine are barely viewable. Get them converted soon!!

Best wishes

Jonathan W

Hi Roddy,
Got a bombshell for you I was a Gunner/Wireless Operator in the Royal Engineers in Aden and I can tell you without doubt THE RADIO DID "NOT" WORK anytime we went into "Silent Valley" because one of our lads said "F... em its their turn to be told its radio silence" So, sorry but your car radios may have worked but our Army Radio's DID NOT.

Email: peter@cobfields.freeuk.com

I remember driving through Silent Vally in my Dad's Triumph Herald. I was teaching Jackie Young to drive and we drove through a military check point without stopping which only went to prove they don't open fire. On the way back they made sure they stopped us. I remember the barrel of a machine gun resting on the door though the open window pointing directly at me. Meanwhile as the other military guys were inspecting the car, Jackie's foot got tired pressing the clutch (she had left it in gear) and the car kangarooed forward nearly running down one of the guys. I was told to report to the Police Station in Little Aden the following day. The interrogating office was not impressed by my UK driving licence - I didn't have a local one. In fact he went bersrk lecturing me that Aden was no longer a British Colony.

Yes - those were the days.........

Email: cdclarmer@netvigator.com