BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The Aden Railway

In searching for more information on the origins of the Wightwick Fountain at Sheikh Othman Gardens I came across an interesting article on the old Aden Railway. In addition to the information on Peter Pickerings AdenAirways web site there is more to be found on Aden’s 29-mile long metre-gauge railway which operated between 1916 and 1929 at the following URL on pages 16 – 18.

http://harakevetmagazine.com/downloads/HRKIssue73.pdf

Can anyone shed any light on who the fountain might have been named after? So far my searches have been in vain.

Email: mail@onstuis.co.uk

Re: The Aden Railway

A couple of points that may be interesting but not related to the question asked.
1. The railway ties (sleepers)were made from Burma Teak as this was cheaper than the regular ones.
2. When the railway was closed down I know that my father (George R. Waddell who lived in Aden from 1924 till 1951 and became the manager of Cory Brothers) bought some of the ties and had furnniture made at the Hedjuff workshop to designs of my mother (Jean L. Waddell). Some of the furniture was sent back to Scotland in 1951 and indeed I still have the pieces which I use to furnish my Flat in Edinburgh.
One of these days I may even have the pieces shipped out to Western Canada where I presently live. I do have photos of the furniture if anyone is interested.

Email: peterwaddell@shaw.ca

Peter, that sounds like furniture that will last many lifetimes and what a provenance!

Email: mail@onstuis.co.uk

Hi Peter,

Yes please, can you email me the pictures of your furniture.

My parents have a large Camphor wooden box they bought in Aden, that we use to store bed sheets and so on. The smell of the Camphor is just fantastic, even after all these years. I have a feeling it may have come from China originally, but cannot be sure.

I'd be interested to see your mothers designs.

Cathy x

Email: cathyconcorde@btinternet.com