BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Christmas

I have a special affection for Christmas as it was one of the two holidays each year that I got to see my parents together with my sister.

We had some marvellous times in Aden over Christmas and New Year when it seemed that the BP staff were there just for our benefit! They must all have worked very hard to arrange the multiple functions and parties that took place in our short break from cold England.

Getting back to school in England with a dark tan was sometimes fraught as Matron tried to scrub the "travel dirt" off me, without success!

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas, great memories and a magic New Year.

John

Email: shute.john@gmail.com

Re: Christmas

nice to be the first to see your message!

I don't remember going to Aden every Christmas - in fact one of my enduring memories is of a particularly bad time at our guardian's house - but I think you may have been too young for it to register.

Brilliant memories of Aden Christmases - piling into our parents' bed to open stockings, beautiful tree, hot hot lunch, and the crib that our father made, parts of which I still have.

Hope everyone has a Happy Christmas and a very peaceful 2011.

Email: pennybenstead@gmail.com

Our first Christmas as a married couple was spent in Aden in 1961.

My employer, Marconi Marine, chartered boats owned and run by Somalis to ferry us to and from the ships we worked on in the harbour.

A few days before Christmas one of the Somalis came to our flat in Tawahi and presented my wife with a Christmas present – a LIVE TURKEY in a basket shipped across from Somaliland by dhow. I came home to find a terrified wife who had locked the kitchen door as the turkey had escaped from the basket where the Somali had put it in the kitchen for her.

Fortunately our Adeni driver knew a chap who came to the flat to execute the poor bird – but what a mess to clear up afterwards in our bathroom.

That Christmas we ate roast turkey, cold turkey, curried turkey and still couldn’t finish eating the turkey by ourselves. Needless to say we are no longer keen on turkey at Christmas. However we still laugh about it. What a present!

I wish you all a Happy Christmas and Peaceful New Year.

Email: mail@onstuis.co.uk

I can remember having a number of Christmas celebrations held at the Gold Mohur club. Turkey for lunch and the rest of the day spent swimming. Happy times..

"Eid Mubbarak"

Jonathan Wilkins

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

Ah yes Penny, I remember it well! I won all the chocolate coins at their new roulette wheel and I think you made me give some back!!

John

Email: shute.john@gmail.com