BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
House Numbers

Whilst the subject of telephone numbers only prompted some sixteen posts out of some 400 odd 'viewings' perhaps the subject of house numbers may have more success.......and also build up a map as to who lived where!! For myself we lived in E3 and D7 in Bandar Sheikh, and at 5 Surrey St in Ghadir, come on guys, time to get the old grey matter going!!!!!!
Cheers
Roddy Wade

Email: wade@sky.com

Re: House Numbers

Hi Roddy,

I was at the Glasgow Reunion yesterday, and it was great to see so many people there, and films from Jonathan and from the Ward family.

My mum says that No 1 Surrey Street, was Bill and Hilda Fell (he was Shore Bosun at the Jetties) No. 3 was Donald and Betty Currie and daughter Nan.

Your house at no 5 there were 2 families when we were there Bill and Pat Duff and their children Graeme and Shona, and at one point The Barclay family. We ourselves were no 6 Surrey Street.

At no 2 there was Brian and Betty Carling, we believe no family, No 4 Sid and Gladys Worrall and children Philip and Brenda, No 8 was Mr and Mrs Phillips, we are trying to remember who was at no 8 before them.

Cathy x

Email: cathyconcorde@btinternet.com

My parents Robert (Bob) & Irene Andrew used to live in N5 before moving to 6 Devonshire Street.

Email: nobaur01@tiscali.co.uk

I don't recall the area being named Bandar Sheikh, maybe that came later as we lived there in 1953, or maybe it was unimportant to my ten year old mind. We did call the entire peninsula "Little Aden" a name which evidently stuck. My family lived in house number C-7. The houses were allocated somewhat in the pecking order of the positions within the companies of Wimpey and Bechtel. The top employees lived in rows A and B. My dad, David McNabb was an Assistant Superintendent of piping so we were in row C. Interestingly, the top position in the Dutch dredging company was given a house in row E or F, I just remember it was a few rows down from ours.

Roddy Wade
Whilst the subject of telephone numbers only prompted some sixteen posts out of some 400 odd 'viewings' perhaps the subject of house numbers may have more success.......and also build up a map as to who lived where!! For myself we lived in E3 and D7 in Bandar Sheikh, and at 5 Surrey St in Ghadir, come on guys, time to get the old grey matter going!!!!!!
Cheers
Roddy Wade

Email: nmcnabb@hughes.net

Ned , If you go to the Maps section of the web site i.e http://www.bpadenkids.com/maps.htm There is a map of Bandar Sheikh showing the housing area. I can name the roads as far as G after that my memory becomes very hazy. We originally were put into L3 (which I can place on the map) then moved to E1 and eventually 4 Wiltshire Crescent in Ghadir. If you can add road names please let me know and I will modify the map of Bandar Sheikh.
Regards
Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

Rumour (and various poor memories) has it that we were in F5 in Bandar then moved to 1 Devonshire Street. After that we moved to Steamer Point and were briefly in a flat on Maala Straight after which we were in Dolphin Square, Maala. A big white brick building with an enclosed courtyard/garden ... and lots of Oleander bushes and the occasional stray cow, if I recall correctly.

The first house I remember was O1 in Bander Sheikh, we then moved to 27,Devonshire street, I was suprised to find my friend from school Julia Maguire lving next door, I presume no25.
At that time my older brothers were home in the UK at school and my younger brother Colin and I spent a lot of time with Julia and Jane Maguire.
The molesworth family lived directly behind us.
My mother always laughed about one of the Molesworth boys,not Simon a younger boy who's name I can't remember who watched her reverse out of the garage and asked her disapointedly "arn't you going to crash any more mrs young"
My mum passed her test in Litle Aden ... but thats another story

Email: sallys81@msn.com

sorry should read sally stewart, must be he vodka!!

Email: sallys81@msn.com

Hi Sally
Hope it was Tesco finest cooking Vodka!!
Regards
Roddy

Email: wade@sky.com