BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is there a - BP-Aden Kids Facebook page?

Hi,

Things have seen to have gone quiet on this site. Is there such a thing as an "BP ADEN KIDS Facebook page. I don't have Facebook, but this is the way things seem to be going nowadays and was wondering if anyone had created one for the BP Aden Kids?

I think possibly there are other Facebook sites on Aden, but can't Google one for us Kids.

Email: cathyconcorde@btinternet.com

Re: Is there a - BP-Aden Kids Facebook page?

Hi Cathy
Have just been on 'facebook' and there is indeed a BP Aden page set up for kids who lived there up to 1972.
There are only 3 members posted as yet only one of which I know.....Peter Mackley!
Just register yourself at the Facebook site then have a look..........
Regards
Roddy

Email: wade@sky.com

Hi Roddy,

Thanks for this.

Cathy

Hi Cathy

I am now the 4th member of the Facebook Aden page. This web site does go slow on occasions as I run out of donated material to upload. If you have photographs , articles, or copies of any Aden publications I will be delighted to upload them. Best wishes Jonathan Wilkins

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

Hi Jonathan
And I am number five, lousy grammer, but who cares!! Perhaps we should encourage as many as possible to join the page to give you some respite in your quest to obtain info to keep us all happy!! Might be fun!!
As an aside am still trying to find Helen Wells, anyone out there have any ideas
Regards
Roddy Wade

Hi Jonathan and Cathy
Then there were six!! Well done Peta, c'mon guys, grab the page and give us a brief history of your L. Aden days and cheer us all up, Autumn arrives tomorrow, and Brussels has just ordered the demise of the 60W bulb.......no I've not lost my marbles, just think we can't let BPAden Kids go stale! Cathy, you could be number 7, go on, you know it makes sense!
Cheers
Roddy

Hi Roddy,

I'm going to set up a Facebook account soon. I've got dinosaur genes and havn't done it before!!!!

There still seems to be quite a few people we are "searching for". I was at school with Lesley Jones (still not found) but I was particularly keen to find out what happened to the La Rosa family who were friends of my Dad. Noone seems to know.

Once I get onto Facebook I'll try that. They may have gone back to Italy. Think one of their daughters was named Albina. Does anyone remeber this lovely family?

Cathy x

It would be a real shame if all of you folk migrate to Facebook and leave this great site to grow old, weary and lonesome!

Email: mail@onstuis.co.uk

Hi David, I am staying here. All I need is contributions to the site and I will be happy. On another note. One of the topics on this notice board is Silent Valley and the lack of radio communications in the valley. I presume the military were communicating on VHF and the car radios were MW. Do you have any ideas as to what frequencies the military were using for their local communications?

73's

Jonathan Wilkins G6DIQ, W6DIQ

Hi Jonathan,

I wish I could supply a definitive answer, but the man who would have known, my old buddy Stan Symons who was a Major in the Royal Corps of Signals at the time, is sadly no longer with us. I do know that HF communications was very much in general use in the sixties by the military.

If you look at mil vehicles in Aden photos at that time the HF whip antennas are very prominent. I have only come across one photo of an RMP office with what could be a VHF colinear antenna on the roof.

My own 20 metre groundplane atop of Palida Terrace used one of the military copper plated steel whip antennas!

As Silent Valley was pretty much surrounded by high hills I guess it would have been a radio black spot for signals coming in from the outside giving rise to the stories I've seen posted but I think the 'Silent' description is more likely to be due to the lack of audible noise not radio signals, or the association of silence with the dead.

73's

Email: mail@onstuis.co.uk

Hi David and Jonathan
Don,t get me wrong I don,t want to see people migrating from our wonderful site, just thought it might encourage people to become more involved in what is dear to our hearts.
As for Silent valley...indeed you could hear a pin drop in there even with a sandstorm raging...nothing, not a bird, a cricket....zilch!! Hence Silent valley!! As for radios, as I have said before the RMPs from Falaise were rather annoyed on a number of occasions when a mere Senior Aircraftsman (allbieit a cockey 19 year)from RAF Khormaksar was stopped for speeding, and they were all for confiscating my car, until they were informed that 'they would have a job on as the car belonged to my dad who was a BP emloyeee, as you can imagine this went down like a lead balloon and feverish radio traffic ensued, especially as I had been stopped not long before, at night, with their report being written up in my headlights, yes youv'e guessed it......what did Wadey do, but switch his headlights off. After much huffing and puffing and orders to switch my lights back on I politely refused and suggest they use a torch...........hilarious at the time and something that you don't forget!!!!
Got away with that one, but only just.
Don't care who you are, but believe me, RMP radios worked in Silent Valley
Oh happy days!!!!
Cheers Roddy

Hi I was in Adeon 1974 til 1977,

Email: janebroom2..brtinternet.com

what is the name of the facebook page? Can't seem to find it..

Email: fred_townsend@luminous-asia.com

I hate facebook with a passion and have managed to avoid it for as long as it's existed and don't plan to change that now! I'll be staying here!

Email: steve@terrapania.com

I opened a Facebook account to communicate with kids I grew up with after we left Aden. We were based in Beirut/Saudi Arabia with American Oil Companies)
Having "friended" a dozen people who I knew well, facebook now constantly sends me emails asking "do I know" all sorts of people who they have down as friends of my friends. Hundreds of them if not thousands. Its a total privacy breach, as presumably they are also sending my details out to all these people who I dont know asking them if they know me. Also they are sending out details of my friends to friends of other friends.
If I "friend" Aden kids on facebook, presumably they would then be bombarded with "do you know" messages about friends of my American friends and vice versa.

Facebook is OK for some but my loyaly will always be to Jonathan's BPADENKIDS site

(JW - Thats a tenner you owe me ha ha)

Email: gordonclark132@gmail.com

Re: Is there a BP Aden Kids Facebook page?

I am trying to find the Facebook page for BP Aden Kids so that I can join that as well as this forum.I have many memories of growing up with my family in 1964-66 in Aden (aged 9-11 years) and I would love to share them. I also have photos and cine film (now in DVD format).
Please can someone let me have the title of the page.
Many thanks.

Email: derrogers@hotmail.co.uk

I cannot find Facebook page. Was in Aden 1956 to 1967. My dad was with Port Trust. I went to Isthmus school

Email: parsons212@btinternet.com

An Outsourcing BPO is a term that refers to the process of outsourcing business operations to a third-party entity. Business Process Outsourcing is a model in which the client-company or the hirer, has distinctive processes carried out by the third-party vendor who outsources the BPO service provider and also virtual customer service provide quality stuff. It is a widely practiced experience to ensure the job to be done on all levels and carried out in a highly professional manner.

Email: _82vwyhp@temporary-mail.net

Hi Roddy I joined the Facebook page but there was no activity. I remember Peter Mackley very well.
Do you by any chance have contact information for Marie Stevens. Her email address must have changed.
Patricia nee Craigie

Email: patriciamiller5@hotmail.com