Return to Website

Welcome to Dog Companies Forum

Feel free to post a message or read what all we are talking about.  Most topics here will involve information pertaining to the reenacting world and WWII history.  Though any radical or distasteful post will be deleted as soon as possible.  Come in with a light hearted attitude and a will to learn.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
joining

Hi my names marshall and i was wondering if I could join the group? where are you located in Tennessee?

Re: joining

We are located at FT. Campbell in nothern TN. Some are located in Northern Alabama. A few in GA and one in LA. Most of us though are around the Fort Campbell and Nashville Area. Your age will determine if you can join, and where are you located? Feel free to email me at dnkosovo@aol.com
David Brackett

Im in the knoxville area and I will be 15 this year

Re: Re: joining

You are welcome to join our unit as a medic at this point. One must be at least 16 (correct me if I am wrong Heady) to carry a weapon. This is due to legal restrictions. To be honest being a medic is a lot of fun. You are still in the thick of things and vital to the unit. You can have missions strictly devoted to you. I suggest you contact Sgt Brackett about attending the Catoosa event we have at the end of September. This is a very good event. We can help you with the medic gear. That reminds me, there is some equipment that you will need. We can help with some of it, but you will need a set of 42's (M1942 jump pants and jacket), a steel pot (we may be able to help you with this, and some jump boots or double buckle boots. There maybe something that I missed but I suggest contact Sgt Brackett first. He just returned from an event this weekend but I know he can help fill in the rest. You can find his email on the home page.

Is the steel pot a helmet? Do you know of any 82nd airborne reenactors in the area?

Yes, a steel pot is the helmet. I am not aware of any 82nd reenactors in that area. There may very well be some but I am not aware of any. You can go to atthefront.com and look under their allied reenactor group pages.

I am headed to the Alabama area very soon, November to be exact and I will be there for a few years. Any info or advice for me. I have wanted to get into the WW2 reenactment for some time and feel your unit is for me.

Looking at gear now and prices but won't be able to show up till the fall/winter...go figure.

Thanks for any info you have. Oh and I am 32 by the way, in the army 13 years....EOD guy.

-Jeff-

I just turned 16 on August 1st and I've been wanting start reenacting since I was 13, and now I'm serious
about joining this unit, I live about 45 min. to an hour away from Cookeville, I have no job yet and the
only way I make any money is by allowance ($20), all though I do have $300 saved up, I don't have any thing
for reenacting yet. Any body know where the cheapest place to find clothing and equipment, and what are the rules for joining this unit?

Matt, we would be happy for you to join our unit. We have high standards regarding accuracy of the WW2 era and the portrayal of the men that served. In fact, from what I have seen from other units across the south, we are the best organized and disciplined. We are not Nazis - no pun intended - when it come to uniforms and equipment but your impression needs to look period. No long hair, no facial hair, and if you wear glasses at least make them look period or wear contacts. Nearly all of our members are active or former U.S. Army in the 101st. So, we are overflowing with Screaming Eagle heritage and pride.

As far as the impression goes, nothing is going to be cheap. That is just a fact of this obsession. In my opinion, you should get a basic setup including M42's, jump boots, and helmet. We can help get you started with some things but the $300 you have should go towards these first. In my opinion, At the Front has excellent gear and they have packages but please check out the Links on our page for numerous vendors and make your own decision.

Now, on the the sensitive part. I need to check with the CO and adjundant regarding weapons and age, however, we have a strict rule in terms of age and carrying a weapon. I need to check out the minimum age. I know you may go hunting all the time and taken the safety courses, however, there is a serious legal consideration that the unit must accept in all reenactments, even with people we reenact with all the time. I would suggest a medic's impression. This will not much more required equipment than I described above - a web belt, canteen holder, canteen and cup, first aid kit, and probably a musette bag.

I hope this gets you started. As I said, we can loan you things to help get you started. Please let us know what we can do.

Currahee,
Eagle Eye

I understand the age and weapon thing, my Mom said she don't want me reenacting until I finish school
(2 more years), I would like to be a medic for a while until I get the hang of things but it will have to weight, I might try to get my parents or my brother to take me to the Tennesee militaria show. Can I still join even though I won't be able to reenact with ya'll until I finish school, Just the thought of being a part of a unit would mean alot to me, I'll use the $300 to buy the M42's and some other things for now, let me know which M42's I need.

I know this is a stupid question, but does this unit actually jump?

As many of the members of Dog Company are current or former 101st (as well as other airborne units), yes they jump. We as a reenactor unit do not jump from C47's - although you can sign up to do that with the Airborne Demonstration Team from Oklahoma. We do simulate jumps during reenactments, which I must say is great.

What do you mean simulate jumps?

Because we do not have C47's and therefore cannot actually jump out of a plane, we have gone in the back of period trucks blindfolded (so we do not know where we are). When the jumpmaster says, "The next two stand in the door," the two guys closest to the back un-blindfold themselves and get out of the truck. The truck drives some distance away and then the next two "jump". This goes on until the entire stick has "jumped" This is trying to simulate scatterings of troopers. It works well and especially at night. Other parachute reenacting units do something similar.

Sounds like fun.

It may sound somewhat hoakie but it really does make for as realistic as we can get.

Can I still join even though I'm 16 and won't be able to reenact untill I'm 18? I meant it would make the reenactment funner to be droped of some where not know where your at and have to find you way to your teem mates.

The CO, Sgt Brackett, and I will need to discuss it. If your parents do not want you to join yet, then we must respect their decision. Let us talk about it.

I have a helmet but i have a glider uniform. Try ebay thats were i got most of my stuff