Return to Website

Welcome to Dog Companies Forum

Feel free to post a message or read what all we are talking about.  Most topics here will involve information pertaining to the reenacting world and WWII history.  Though any radical or distasteful post will be deleted as soon as possible.  Come in with a light hearted attitude and a will to learn.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: blanks in a carbine

My suggestion to you about getting the carbine tapped is to take it to a gunsmith or a metalsmith. The tough part is knowing the size of the hole that is required in the allen screw to get the right blowback. I would find someone who has has this done. I think someone in the unit has done it.

As far as still being able to shoot once it is tapped, I cannot say for certain with a carbine but I have been able to shoot live 45 rounds with my grease gun (with the blank adapter taken out of course. The idea of using the same barrel to shoot live rounds and blanks is extremely dangerous. If you make a mistake and forgot to take the adapter out with live rounds, then not only can you do serious damage to your weapon but you can seriously injure yourself. I have seen what happens to a Garand and a full auto Tommy when someone forgot to take out the adapter. Shrapnel flies everywhere and you may lose an eye or worse. I strongly recommend that you buy another barrel/receiver for the carbine - since they are screwed together - and use it just for blanks.

I forgot to mention that it cost me $40 to get my grease gun done. I had it done by a highly skilled metalsmith. I would think it may cost about the same for the carbine. They just have to tap the barrel and drill a hole through the screw - this is actually not that easy since you have to heat the hardened steel to very high temperatures and then drill it to the proper size. I do not know how much a gunsmith would charge. However, I strongly suggest you get someone who really knows what they are doing or it could be a big mess.

Re: blanks in a carbine

Thanks for the tips. Would you know anything about reputable gunsmiths in Atlanta area?

-tom

Tom,

Apologies for the late response. Atlanta is foreign land to me although I was born in Marietta. If you can find out the hex nut dimensions required, then I may be able to find one here. You can ship me the barrel. I have an FFL liscence.

Re: blanks in a carbine

I can't remeber the name but there is a gunshop in marietta that can do it its located near the marietta civic center.... Deercreek I think is the name.
Heady