The Southern Patriot

A place for discussing the Civil War and Southern heritage.

The Southern Patriot
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Former Civil War Hospital Turned Restaurant Soon to Be Vacant in Georgia ..

Hopefully someone will rent it out for tourists to still visit & take in the history. At least the mayor isn't planning on having it demolished.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Former Civil War Hospital Turned Restaurant Soon to Be Vacant in Georgia

May 24, 2002--A Greek Revival style house in Marietta, Georgia, has had 22 owners as a residence, two as a restaurant, and an uncertain time during the Civil War when it served as a hospital and suffered a couple of bullet wounds.

Now its future is again uncertain as its current owner, saying it isn't making enough money as a restaurant, plans to close operations after June 16.

Ironically enough, the home was built by Marietta's first mayor, John H. Glover, circa 1848, and is being closed by Marietta's current mayor, Bill Dunaway, who has run the restaurant, known as The 1848 House, since 1992.

Local tourism officials are greatly disappointed at the loss.

"I can't imagine not having it to offer to tourists," said Judy Renfroe, president of Cobb County Convention and Visitors Bureau.

"Not having it will leave a big hole," she added. "It's so much more than just a restaurant; it's a place of history."

"It says Southern hospitality," said Ron Allen, retired chief executive of Delta Airlines, which rented the restaurant as its official hospitality center during the Atlanta Olympics.

"Drinking mint juleps on the porch is a great Southern tradition, and you can do that there. It has some great stories," Allen told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I think there may even be some ghosts in those old closets."

Although the Marietta home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is afforded no legal protection.

"It will have my protection," Dunaway said. "This house belongs to the community, and I'm going to make dad-gum sure it stays that way."

Dunaway said he merely broke even on the restaurant he bought 10 years ago and didn't anticipate turning a profit in the near future.

"I have to look after my family," he said. Dunaway said although he hopes the house stays a restaurant, his real estate broker has been approached by someone about turning the house into a private school.

The property is zoned commercial in Cobb County and includes the 13 acres surrounding the house.

A bullet hole from a skirmish between Confederate and Union soldiers is imbedded above a doorway.

May 24, 2002--A Greek Revival style house in Marietta, Georgia, has had 22 owners as a residence, two as a restaurant, and an uncertain time during the Civil War when it served as a hospital and suffered a couple of bullet wounds.

Now its future is again uncertain as its current owner, saying it isn't making enough money as a restaurant, plans to close operations after June 16.

Ironically enough, the home was built by Marietta's first mayor, John H. Glover, circa 1848, and is being closed by Marietta's current mayor, Bill Dunaway, who has run the restaurant, known as The 1848 House, since 1992.

Local tourism officials are greatly disappointed at the loss.

"I can't imagine not having it to offer to tourists," said Judy Renfroe, president of Cobb County Convention and Visitors Bureau.

"Not having it will leave a big hole," she added. "It's so much more than just a restaurant; it's a place of history."

"It says Southern hospitality," said Ron Allen, retired chief executive of Delta Airlines, which rented the restaurant as its official hospitality center during the Atlanta Olympics.

"Drinking mint juleps on the porch is a great Southern tradition, and you can do that there. It has some great stories," Allen told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I think there may even be some ghosts in those old closets."

Although the Marietta home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is afforded no legal protection.

"It will have my protection," Dunaway said. "This house belongs to the community, and I'm going to make dad-gum sure it stays that way."

Dunaway said he merely broke even on the restaurant he bought 10 years ago and didn't anticipate turning a profit in the near future.

"I have to look after my family," he said. Dunaway said although he hopes the house stays a restaurant, his real estate broker has been approached by someone about turning the house into a private school.

The property is zoned commercial in Cobb County and includes the 13 acres surrounding the house.

A bullet hole from a skirmish between Confederate and Union soldiers is imbedded above a doorway.