BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does anyone know how to get an Aden birth certificate?

Hi - I need to get a certified copy of my birth certificate. All I have is an original (which is in a pretty battered condition). Does anyone know where to write to for another copy. I was born in July 57 in the Refinery Hospital (I think that is what it was called). Thanks - Ian (son of Don and Muriel Macnab)

Email: ianandsuemacnab1@aol.com

Re: Does anyone know how to get an Aden birth certificate?

You could try the UK Registrar of Births and Deaths, contact details on their website Google (UK) Copies of Birth Certificates for details or contact a Notary Public for a certified copy of your original one. Some details on Bistol University website http://www.bristol.ac.uk/secretary/legal/certify.html
I have often needed copies of my Passport for the South African authorities and they will certify these at the Embassy in London. The Yemen Embassy may offer a similar service so they would also be worth a try.

Funny you should ask that!

I wrote to the British Consulate (I think it was) in Aden a few years ago to get a full birth certificate as I needed it for my passport and only had an extract and after a fairly long wait, I got back a very nice letter from the chappie in charge returning my fee and apologising profusely that he could only give me one in Arabic, which was enclosed. I now have it framed.

Fortunately I could read the numbers and they all seemed Ok.

It got me my British passport though!
I must send a copy for this site.

Email: steve@terrapania.com

Just to follow up on this, the General Registry Office has a certificate ordering service:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Cost is 10 GBP, unless you know your GRO reference number in which case its 7 GBP (but it'll cost you at least 5 pounds to search for that yourself!)

I've just ordered one (hopefully in English this time!), so I'll know in a week or two if it works as advertised.

Email: steve@terrapnia.com

Thanks for the update - I will also give it a go.

Well, I tried and applied for a certificate a few days ago ... but apparently I don't exist. Maybe I can persuade the Inland Revenue I don't exist either and take home a bit extra pay. Anyway, for anyone who is interested, they suggested writing to:

The Registrar General
Registrar General's Office
PO Box 4120
Font Bay
Crater
Aden

hi ian

i have some info (mainly good) which should help you. the original register of births, marriages and deaths from Aden Colony has disappeared, probably destroyed. there was no reciprocal arrangement between aden and UK so there is no way to get replacement certificates through the official system. your birth cert is therefore a key doc which you would do well to look after.

i don't know if certificated copies will work - i doubt it. the solution i found was to apply to be registered with the british embassy in sana'a. i used a solicitor to get this done because (a) it was setting a precedent; and (b) dealing with the home office is like wading through treacle; but in the end i got my brand new certificate and there is now a reciprocal relationship with the General Register Office in southport, from where i can get additional copies if i need them.

on the other hand, if you want to drop off the radar just rip up your birth cert and you will become stateless person! i will post more info on how to apply to the embassy when the solicitor gets back to me next week.

best wishes

mark izzard

Email: ms.almeria@btinternet.com

Hi Mark - thanks for letting me know this and I look forward to your update.

All the best
Ian

Mark,

Thank you for that invaluable information!
I too apparently don't exist according to the UK authorities! I think my sister, Kate, who was born a couple of days after Eddie in the same ward has an Arabic birth certificate too and also has her British passport.

Looks like we might both need to be registered in Sana'a. I look forward to further details.

Who would have thought that being British could ever be so complicated. What on earth is happening to the world!

Steve

Email: steve@terrapnia.com

Hi Mark,

Was reading stuff online, and someone mentioned a website www.findmypast.com. I had a wee look at it, and it mentions names of people born abroad. Think this guy was in the army, and he mentioned that perhaps civilian births may have also been notified to the Consulate or Embassy. It is a subscription website, so not sure if you will or will not be able to trace your actual birth details. If all fails, I can nip down to the local shop and get you a Scottish Passport, to save you from being Stateless !!!! Hoots mon !!!!

Email: cathyloch@blueyonder.co.ukHi

Hi Mark,

An update on the above***went into the above website again***www.findmypast.com..and there is an icon on the main page, called Latest Family History News..I then clicked on ..Overseas BMD Records, when it scrolled round...it then invites you to enter a name, but only 1995-2005....I typed in your name anyway, and it came up Mark Harold Izzard, Yemen...after that you would have to subscribe to see what is on file, which I did not do. Guess your records must show somwhere!!! Hmmmmm, perhaps you will not have a Scottish Passport after all..never mind we can always get you a Scottish T Shirt.

Email: cathyloch@blueyonder.co.uk

PS to above.I tried the other names, but didnt get a response. However, interesting none the less.

Best of luck to everyone, Cathy xx

Email: cathyloch@blueyonder.co.uk

hi all

this is the information sent to me by emma stoker of michael simkins (solicitors):

"Anyone who was born in Aden and is a British citizen can apply to for what is called "late Consular birth registration". They should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Room E502, Consular Division, King Charles Street, London SW1A 2AH (telephone no. 0207 008 0186).

They will need to complete an application form for consular birth registration; provide their mother and father's birth certificate (and if they were born outside of the UK, evidence of their claim to British citizenship e.g. naturalisation certificate); and provide their mother or father's passport [the original documents must be provided so the applicants should be careful to send the documents by registered delivery]. The application fee in 2004 was £90 per person.

I would recommend anyone making an application calls the Consular Division to discuss their application first and get the application forms sent to them etc prior to sending anything."

Emma Stoker
for Michael Simkins LLP

E: emma.stoker@simkins.com
T: +44 (0)20 7907 3063

this is all self-explanatory, but you should note the requirement to provide a parent's passport which will get more difficult with each passing year.

good luck - and consider using a/the solicitor if you get stuck. it's only 2 years since eddie and i got our births registered, so hopefully the process should be straightforward.

Email: ms.almeria@btinternet.com

Mark - thanks for the info.
All the best
Ian

I've spoken to my sister, Kate, who is also a BP Aden Kid, and she also only has a "Certified Extract" which the British Passport Office in Australia apparently accepted when she applied for her passports.

I couldn't recall earlier whether I'd used my extract or the Arabic full birth certificate to apply for my passport (it was over ten years ago, and I'm getting old ) but judging by Kate's experience I suspect it was the latter.

In answer to a question posed to me by Mark, given that they suggest they are too busy to even answer email questions I doubt that the Australian BPO would be willing to read an Arabic birth certificate! It makes more sense to me now, after speaking to Kate, that it's unlikely I would have used the Arabic version.

How many others here have the Certified Extract that seemed to be the regular issue at the time?

I have a further question that follows on from this, now that my kids are expressing interest in overseas travel ...

Are we Aden born "kids" considered British "by decent" or "other than by decent"?

In other words, do kids of ours born outside the UK automatically have Britih citizenship or not?

The citizenship rules are so darn complicated!

i think you need legal advice on this stephen. the UK passport forms require you to fill in a separate section if BOTH your parents were born outside the UK. so although your claim to british nationality is straightforward (assuming you can provide a birth cert), it gets more complicated if your partner was born outside UK or is not british, and if your children were born outside UK. good luck!

Hi Stephen

If you have a British Passport and your kids were registered at the High Commission, if born in Oz, then they should be able to claim British nationality by descent/patriality.

And I had better get my 11 year old son registered before too long!

Merry Christmas!
Cheers,
John

Email: shute.john@gmail.com

Sadly, I never registered the kids as I didn't think it as necessary. They are aged nearly 20 and nearly 18 now so it's probably a little late.

Hello Jonathan and Fellow BP Aden Kids,

I am wondering if any of you have encountered the following problem in establishing citizenship for their children:

I was born in Aden in 1957 to Don and MaryRose Harris. Mum had my sister, Tracy, in England in 1961. We returned to the UK in 1964. I was "on" Mum's passport until I turned 16 and got my own, with the following: Citizen of the UK and Colonies and also with the right of abode. I married an American in 1987 and we have two children - both born in the States. Brianna (20) is going to the UK to study. Before applying for a British Passport, she checked with the Passport Services about 12 times to ensure she was entitled to one through me as I was born in the Colony of Aden. The answer was "yes" every time. Her passport was approved and in the queue to be printed when it was pulled and she was told that I do NOT have the right to pass British Citizenship to her as I was born in a foreign country! The Home Office, UK has twice said Brianna is entitled to a British Passport, but HM Consul British Embassy sited The British Nationality Act 1948, The Immigration Act 1971 (section 2(1)(b)(1)) and the British Nationality Act of 1981 (section 11(1)). According to her, the Immigration Act effectively destroyed my birthright..........

I always thought that a British Colony was/is considered British soil and, therefore, any children born Aden would have the right to pass their "Britishness" to their children.

Do you know if this has happened to any other BP Aden Kids?

Am continuing to fight this, but it looks like Brianna is going to be going to Uni either late or deferring until next year while we fight this.

Any help/hints gratefully received. Oh, and if Uncle Keith (Bell) and Nick Ward put any more photos of me on the site, I will tell awful tales about them in the forum!!!! (just kidding!)

Sally

Email: sally@sallykvollenweider.com

Hi Sally,

Sadly this does seem to be the case.
We are only considered to be British Citizens by descent. I have been told by the British Passport Office here in Australia that my kids do not have citizenship through me.

Hi

How about getting a Certificate of Patriality through your father, presuming of course that he is British?

If the Home Office/Immigration service is still issuing these then your children effectively become British citizens/Subjects of the UK and Colonies and, of course, able to work and live in the UK and Europe!!

Cheers,

John

Email: shute.john@gmail.com

There's a thought! Will definitely check it out! I've also been looking at Mark's solution - a late birth registration - I am wondering if that then makes me British by Birth!! Apparently, not one single parent in Aden ever registered us anywhere official in Aden or when home on leave, therefore we are Brits by descent, not birth, and can't pass on our nationality if our children are born outside the UK. It's too early for a drink, so I am going to drown my sorrows with tea!

Mark, thanks for the advice. My sister, born in UK so no issues with her "by birth" british designation!, has no idea if Dad registered my birth in the UK. Since you and Eddie both found out your births weren't registered, can only assume mine wasn't either! Contacting some other ex-BP Aden parents to see if BP advised them to do so, but, on the whole, doesn't look like it! And with the requirement to provide parents' passports, I'm probably stumped with the late registration. Dad died 12+ years ago!!!

BP has more to answer for than the leak in the Gulf! It never occurred to me that my kids couldn't inherit my citizenship. The parents were back and forth on leave enough, you would have thought it would have been an easy thing to do - register their kids' births and guarantee that their kids and grandkids would be Brits by birth!!

Hey Mark, quick question: when you and Eddie got your births registered, did that then make you British by birth rather than by descent?

When comes to birth certificate my uncle found his one from Aden in 2012, saying Conley of Aden.
Some records still around, but only way to get them, you need know some in Aden or visit your self.
I was told fee you have to pay get does records.

Ministry of Interior Aden Office
Dept : Civil Registration Aden.

This where uncle get records from.

I hope this information helps.

For those of you who have at least some documentation, this may help: I was chatting to a man from the GRO last week at the "Who Do You Think You Are" Live genealogy exhibition in London and he said that, as there is no time limit on birth registrations, if I sent my birth certificate and other supporting ID etc (parents marriage certificate was one) to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office I could register, after which I would appear on the GRO records and could get certificates from there in future.
For those with no certificates, it might be worth you contacting the British Embassy in Yemen as they sent me an Arabic birth certificate a few years ago which, once translated, could be used. Of course, with the troubles they're having over there at the moment this might not be a priority service for them.

Very interesting information, I am sure it will many people.

I too need to have an original birth certificate from Aden was born in 1952. If anybody can guide me please.

Email: Jitu_kurani@yahoo.co.uk

Ministry of Interior Department of Civil Registration in Aden which has copies of birth certificate, most get from Aden.

I am aware person who contact me in past obtained his birth certificate with help of his family members who lived in Aden.

The prices of birth certificate in early 2013 –
Originally English copy $300:
Arabic one cost $200:

Dealing with Aden authorities can be bit difficult, best to find person who lives in Aden help get birth records, maybe should post question on BP kids if someone who lives in Aden can help do that.

I wish you all best, if have any more question, I am sure BP kids members will answer them.

This is not exactly the same question but linked...............Has anyone who had children born in South Yemen after independence in late 1967 had an experience of the British Passport office declaring them to be a ‘British Citizen by decent’, thereby precluding any of their offspring’s being born outside the UK from being given the right to a BRITISH PASSPORT? If so have you been able to reverse this ruling?

Email: sue@andersoneducation.co.uk

From my own understand, please bear in mind I am not legal trained officially) give an legal answer, but children born after 1967, who can provided proof their parents was British and grandfather was British then they are British. If’s it's by decent then you need to contact a Immigration Lawyer, who deals with British Nationality law.

Immigration Lawyer web site,

http://www.whatpassport.com/countries/Aden-Colony-Port-of-Aden-%28now-part-of-Yemen%29

The question I wanted to ask do you have any birth records of the kids born after 1967? did you register the kids in Church in Aden? Baptism birth records still in Aden.

British Library does have old Baptism birth records from Aden, you need visit the African & Asian rooms.

I am also aware that Aden authorities do have old birth records from Aden.

If you contact Fr. Gandolf Wild, OFM Cap., Secretary (from) Apostolic Vicariate of Southern Arabia) I am sure he can help you with Baptism birth records from Aden)

http://www.stfrancisjebelali.ae/ccsarabia/office.php

Fr. Gandolf Wild emails address use both email on subject matter of birth records (only) and church matters in Aden.

1. info@ccsarabia.org
2. office@ccsarabia.org

I know for a fact birth records do help, do make a big difference, when comes to Immigration & nationality law here in UK.

I do hope the information, I have provided does help.

If you have any more question please let me know.

Dear Mr Madar

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions, this is very helpful and I will look more fully at your suggestions and let's hope I can find a solution to this problem.

Best regards

Sue

Email: sue@andersoneducation.co.uk

Mrs Anderson, your very welcome. If need any more help just let me know.

I just wanted updated group.

Just before Aden conflict Bishop of Arabia was helping.

But now very difficult get birth certificate maybe Arabic version.

https://avosa.org/

If people still require birth certificate, maybe group should contact the Bishop.

Other news

Many Somalis born in Aden, are British subject, many are finding it difficult on getting British Overseas Passport & British British Protected Person Passport, all them are still to loyal crown. I find out news from British Lawyer who handle their cases.

I hope all the Somalis who born in Aden, get their rights.

Email: euro255@hotmail.com