BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Queen Victoria

Does anyone have pictures of the Queen Victoria statue from the 60 and 70's which stood in the Crescent. Details of the original plinth are needed for the current restoration project. Also does anyone have any pictures of Maalla and Steamer Point taken from Shamsan in the 60's 70's. If please let me know.

Thanks

Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

Re: Queen Victoria

Johnathan,

The best picture I've seen of Queen Vic's bottom is that on Peter Pickerings site where it is completely visible.

http://adenairways.com/victoria.htm

David,
Thanks for the suggestion. My interest in this is that the authorities in Aden are looking for details of the original plinth so Queen Vic can get a copy of her original mount to sit on in the Crescent Gardens !
Regards

Jonathan W

Category: Monument / Sculpture
Title: Queen Victoria Jubilee Memorial
Primary artist(s): Francis John Williamson (1833-1920)
Unveiling date: First unveiled 25 May, 1903. Plaques unveiled 7 April, 1904.
Media: Bronze
Approximate dimensions: h 5.5m w 2.44m d 2.44m
Setting: Corner of Armagh and Colombo Street
Owner / administrator: Parks Unit, Christchurch City Council

Email: alwindavis@yahoo.com

Jonathan,

Sounds like a worthwhile project. What happened to the old plinth?

There is another photograph on my website under 'Steamer Point' - I can forward a copy if it will help. Using the AdenAirways pic and my one it ought to be possible to approximate style and scale dimensions.

David,

I think it got lost when QV was moved to Khormaksar. Now she's back in the Crescent they want to make sure she is sitting on the correct piece of stone.

Regards

Jonathan W

David,

Can I have a copy of your Queen Victoria (Crescent) picture to send on to the interested parties. I think there is ample information to contruct a copy of the plinth from what I can see.

Thanks

Jonathan W

Jonathan,

Emailing two photographs to you today.

73's

There is an interesting short article on the statue of Queen Victoria on the BBC website, titled 'Seeking Yemen's past and future'. It appeared in one of BBC Scotland's news postings. The URL for those interested is: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7113278.stm

Hi David,
I read the article. Very interesting reading. There is a lot of investment and development happening in Aden. In the bay around from Bandar Sheikh, a huge tourist complex is being built. The investment is in $ billions. Hopefully when complete this will give the locals an income totally seperate from oil revenues. Interesting the comments about Crater at night. I will have to tell my travel companions we should have stayed out of the place at night !!!
On my next trip I am taking my 20 metre rig and hope to make some contacts. No CW I'm afraid.
73"s

Jonathan W G6DIQ W6DIQ

I hope you aren't going to pirate my old callsign - VS9ACH. Shame about the CW, I could never get along with phone! Let me know when the DXpedition is set for and I'll diarise it - in the meantime I will take lessons in phone work. There are many strange stories about Crater, the one that amuses me is that you can "smell the camels a mile off". I can't say I ever noticed that or any strange whiffs other than that of sand in the air!

The statue was taken down yesterday, I hope as part of the restoration process. The park has been renovated and there are beautiful flower beds and brand new benches and umbrellas. I'll try and post a pic when I go to the market again.

Email: elginette_1@yahoo.com