BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
women in black - documentary about women in aden

This programme was broadcast yesterday thursday 8th may on BBC2 7.30pm and can be seen again by going to the BBC website and selecting BBC iPlayer. (if you haven't used it before it allows you to watch old TV programmes on your computer). select the option LAST SEVEN DAYS and scroll through until you find the title: Women in Black. It will be available to watch and/or to download for another 6 days.

It's about Amani Zain, born Aden but living in London, travelling to Aden to see life behind the veil, inside the women's quarters of her family home.

You might think it's worth a look. I found it fascinating.

Email: ms.almeria@btinternet.com

Re: women in black - documentary about women in aden

Mark, Some of the BBC programmes are unavailable on BBC iplayer outside the UK and this happens to be one of them !!Hopefully someone will upload it to YouTube shortly so the residents of Chicago can view it. Regards

JPW

Mark
I recorded the programme for posterity as I was hoping
that many a view was to be gained of the old place - alas this was not forthecoming, however, as you I enjoyed the programme. I can still smell Crater to this day!!
This aside I was somewhat surprised to find out that Southern Yemen ie, the governing faction in Aden, was actively involved in assisting the US administration in its war against the terrorism threat!!
Jonathan Wilkinson, myself, and my dear old Dad were not wrong in the trust and faith that we placed on those that were born and bred there - just wish that their standard of living was as good as it was when it was a British Colony!!!!!
Regards
Roddy Wade

Email: rodwade@chelseachop.fsnet.co.uk

Hi Mark,

This can still be watched on "catch up" TV.I use Virgin broadband and TV and you can watch some programmes for up to a week. This one is still there for another day or so. Interesting

Cathy

Cathy, Roddy. I spoke to Jackie Degg this afternoon, he has also seen the program and told me that he recognised a lot of the places from our visit in September 2007. I thought the internet was a universal thing however I am blocked from the BBC IPlayer as I live outside the UK. Anyone got any ideas how I can access this program.

Regards

Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net

Hi Jonathan,

Just been speaking to a friend, also in the States, and hecan't get the iPlayer either. From what he says, I believe the BBC are not releasing the iPlayer over there, meantime. Too bad. Hopefully, sometime in the future. It's always nice to see programmes from "The Old Country"....

Hi Jonathan,

Did you also try....www.itv.com/catchup....it's more or less the same as the BBC iPlayer.

If you can get access, try the series "Benidorm"...you would have to be British to "get it".....It's shown here after 9pm..so you have to tick a small box saying you are over 18...I ticked several times!!!!!!

Best of luck.

Cathy

Hi Jonathan,

PS...after having just watched an eposide of "Benidorm" on line, it's maybe not the best one to watch. (I watch it at work on my t-break with colleagues and we have a laugh as it's late at night...and...we are at work)..Just been watching News at Ten, live, online.Might be one for you to try live....

Cathy

Hi Cathy, Thanks for the tips. I will try out the ITV player. Hopefully when I get to the UK in August I may be able to get a copy of the documentary.

Best wishes

Jonathan W

Email: n606jp@comcast.net