BP Aden Kids

Welcome to the BP Kids Message Board. If your looking for somebody or you want to write about life in Aden please feel free to use this board. 

All posts in English please !

BP Aden Kids
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
"We found a valley" the 1954 film of building the refinery has been found!
FINALLY!! Asked the Perth, Western Australia, Government Relations Director if he could help me find a copy of "We found a Valley" since we had had no success with BP London over several years. 24 hours later: Hi John good news, we have the film and it is availab...
Views: 909   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 10, 2020 9:39pm
by Jacqueline Davie...
c
cathy
Glagow Reunion
Hi, Does anyone have any photos of the Glasgow Reunion, in 2011. I didn't take any and have never seen any.
Views: 161   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 16, 2021 6:54pm
by cathy
CONTACT DETAILS
My current email address is above. With the bpadenkids site being closed I have lost the ability to get in touch with people but once in a while I think back to Aden and want to contact people. It would be nice to hear from anyone from those days, so please update t...
Views: 33   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 19, 2023 3:38pm
by Gordon Clark
bpadenkids website
Is there any way the website can be made available online, just to view and browse
Views: 35   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 19, 2023 3:34pm
by Gordon Clark
Street names
Can anyone help me with street names for the Ghadir? I can name most of them but cannot place them. The streets can be clearly seen on this picture link http://www.bpadenkids.com/ghadir2.htm . If you know the names please let me know. Thanks Jonathan W
Views: 1757   Replies: 41
Last Post: Jul 16, 2018 6:12am
by Edwin Sam
St. Joseph's High School - Steamer Point - Aden
Hi All, My first visit to this excellent website. I went to this school from 1969 to 1971. Anyone remember this boys school at Steamer Point. We used to live in the Khormaksar service apartments and take the city bus to school and back. I could even spot the house...
Views: 1295   Replies: 10
Last Post: Sep 9, 2023 7:17am
by peterjohnson
Growing up
Hi every one, As the site is somewhat quiet right now I thought it might be fun to share where and how we grew up, as for me we are looking at South Wales, Iran and Aden, how about you? Not wishing to bore anyone I will refrain from my history until there is any int...
Views: 1685   Replies: 9
Last Post: Sep 1, 2023 9:59am
by peterjohnson
Fred Collinson's film of Little Aden
Fred Collinson's film of Little Aden taken between 1957 & 1963 was shown on BBC2 yesterday, 19th August and is worth watching. The programme was "Home Movie Roadshow Uncut" - Episode 2. It can bee seen on BBC iPlayer. The Little Aden cut appears 23.50 minutes into...
Views: 461   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 22, 2010 6:07am
by Jonathan Wilkins
Looking for people
Hi, Myself Gary Taylor and my sister Maria Taylor were in aden around 1961, i went to steamer point, Maria went to Khormaskor school, anyone around who remembers us would be great to get in touch.. should mention our father was Edward Taylor, who was sgt working in t...
Views: 281   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 19, 2021 10:16am
by Pauline Hollywoo...
Aden 1960 to 64
Hi, my Dad was in the British army and we lived in Aden roundabout 1960 to 1964. Have very fond memories, although as a child did not realise what was going on. I remember landing in Aden, age about 4, in my little summer dress, and being hit by a wall of heat! Ini...
Views: 243   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 14, 2023 7:38am
by joy
JONATHAN WILKINS & BPADENKIDS - COM
Anyone have contact for Jonathan or access to the bpadenkids website?
Views: 61   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 4, 2023 4:57pm
by Gordon
ISTHMUS SCHOOL BUS
Who was on the bus? Do you remember the roundabout at the Crater end of The Causeway? Do you remember when we were taken hostage for a few hours?
Views: 124   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 5, 2022 12:33pm
by Peter Moran
Aden 1964-66
Hello! I have just discovered this website and wish I had known about it earlier. I was a teenager in Aden from early 1964 until 1966, visiting for the school holidays. I recognise many places from the photos on the site - Tarshyne, where we lived, Steamer Point, Go...
Views: 639   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 6, 2022 10:01am
by Almom2002
I lived in Aden from 1964 until 1966 (aged 9-11 years)
Hi! I was really excited to find this website after watching 'The Last Post' on television. My name is Deirdre and I am the daughter of Alfred (late) and Brenda Lewis and my sister is Christine. Mum and Dad were broadcasters on the BFPO radio in Aden and they were...
Views: 769   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 29, 2022 1:27pm
by John H. Boyd
Aden newspaper search May 1967
I am looking for newspaper reports of the death of my best friend from school days, almost 50 years ago. David Thomas Henderson was a member of the British navy, serving in Aden in 1967 (HMS Sheba, I think). He was killed in service in May that year. David left schoo...
Views: 1727   Replies: 20
Last Post: Sep 8, 2022 7:25am
by Joyce Jones
St. Anthony's High School - Steamer Point - Aden
Sorry got my school name mixed up. It was not St Joseph's but it was called St. Anthony's High School. Bye Madhukar
Views: 2814   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 7, 2022 4:47pm
by owenbishop
d
Deccan
Lived during 1984-1986 at 17 Kornish Al Gadhir
My mom was a gynecologist in the Aden Refinery Company hospital till 1986 just after the civil war. We used to spend our summers there. A beautiful home by the Bay ( Tiger Hill Beach), a nice garden in the front, bougainvillea trellis facing the verandah and the soun...
Views: 47   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 21, 2022 9:30pm
by Deccan
Little Aden Golf Club.
Just come across a letter from the secretary as I wanted to visit. Sadly could not in 1993, and on sub sequent visits the golf club was no more. The Secretary was Mr C. Amudhan, address for the club was P.O. Box 3003 Aden.
Views: 59   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 10, 2022 8:56am
by Don Mackenzie
Rev Kenneth Edmund Nelson and Barbara Jean Nelson
My parents are both dead now for a number of years but we all have very fond memories of our time in Little Aden. I am currently in my office and on the wall I have the plaque of St Peter's Church Little Aden. I wonder If anyone remembers them and if friends I used...
Views: 323   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 4, 2022 8:43am
by Margot Evans (ne...
c
cathy
Is there a - BP-Aden Kids Facebook page?
Hi, Things have seen to have gone quiet on this site. Is there such a thing as an "BP ADEN KIDS Facebook page. I don't have Facebook, but this is the way things seem to be going nowadays and was wondering if anyone had created one for the BP Aden Kids? I think...
Views: 1706   Replies: 18
Last Post: Feb 16, 2022 10:44pm
by Patricia Miller
Book: BP Aden Visitors 1953 - 2001
Hi All I am Hani Bassel, I am working at Aden Refinery Company (BP Aden), I am researcher too and Manager of General Library in Little Aden. Now I am writing documentary Book about the Visitors of Aden refinery from 1953 to 2001, by personal effort, i have more...
Views: 595   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 2, 2022 9:50pm
by Jonathan Wilkins
Boxing
Dear all, I am a researcher in London looking at the history of organised sports in Aden, and specifically boxing. I have looked through the jottings and found no mention of boxing or any combat sports at BP or other social/sporting clubs. Does anyone remember...
Views: 130   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 9, 2021 4:15pm
by Ziad Al-Qattan
c
cathy
Aircraft to Aden
What type of aircraft did we commute to Aden as Kids. The comet?
Views: 354   Replies: 15
Last Post: Oct 7, 2021 12:02am
by Patricia Miller
Current Photos
Hi Aden Kid I'm currently working in Aden and would like to see if I can help bring back some memories with photos and possibly videos of Aden today. if so drop me an email and I will see what I can do. Chris
Views: 188   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 23, 2021 11:06pm
by Rosalind Buckton...
Aden birth and marriage certificates
Hello all. I know that this subject was on the message board previously. However, I can't find the original post so my apologies for the repetition. I was born in Aden in 1958. My father, Joe, worked for BP and married my mother, Margaret in Little Aden in 1957...
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 5, 2021 10:02pm
by Paul Duffy
Abyan cotton scheme
Hi! I'm in the process of researching the Aden Protectorate for my MA dissertation, and I would be very grateful if anyone has any articles or materials about to the Abyan Cotton Scheme in the Fadhli and Lower Yafa states that they would be willing to share. I find i...
Views: 136   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 14, 2021 11:36pm
by Patricia Miller
ss Oxfordshire
Anybody remember sailing to Aden on the SS Oxfordshire, think it was around 1961 or so...
Views: 105   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 11, 2021 3:50pm
by Gary Taylor
c
cathy
Thanks for the Memories - Little Aden's Sugar Loaf Mountain
Thanks for the memories. Just watched the video of the building of the Refinery. No matter how old I get, if I saw a picture of the rocks around Little Aden I would recognise them. I don't ever remember them being named, so in my mind the big square one will be...
Views: 147   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 6, 2020 8:23pm
by Cathy
searching for Marie Moore nee Stevens
have been trying to get contact information for Marie Moore nee stevens. If any one has the contact information could you share it with me?
Views: 129   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 23, 2020 2:29am
by patricia miller
c
cathy
BP Aden Kids site - demise
Thank you Jonathan for the admin of the BP Aden Kids site over the last number of year. I for one have enjoyed all the input. It wouldn't be the same but it would seem a shame to lose contact. If anyone wanted to start up a closed group on Facebook of "BPAden K...
Views: 435   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 4, 2020 6:36pm
by Jonathan Wilkins
Who's one Know Dr. Richard
Hi nice to meet you all until 1970 and maybe for more than it.. that's one worked at BP Aden Refinery.. his name Dr. Richard Bayen (i cant write bayen correctly (Ben .. Bain) i think he is dr. at refinery hospital .. just thinking can i find any information ab...
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 6, 2020 3:02pm
by Hani Bassel
Aden between 1964-66
Hi there Just found this site after trying to google and find images of my first school which I started in Aden at the age of 4yrs. I believe it was a catholic primary school as my mother said i was taught by Italian nuns. My family lived in Aden between the abo...
Views: 385   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 28, 2020 12:41pm
by Patricia Miller
Jonathan Wilkins
Hello Does anyone know if Jonathan is OK and, if so, is he still managing this site? Both another site member and I have tried contacting him, but without a response from him. There are two email addresses for him and I've tried both. If anyone has had recent con...
Views: 180   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 22, 2020 11:51pm
by Patricia Miller
Aden62/64
I was a toddler in Aden can remember the beach with the high rocks and being warned not to climb it swimming a lot and very vaguely nursery also my older brother getting hit twice by trucks as he never did as he was told Paul went the infant school there we left in 1...
Views: 110   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 4, 2020 7:34pm
by Sharron Adamson
contact with site
I have been trying to contact the site re Marie Stevens .I would like to get back in contact with her but when I click on the link on contacts page the email is rejected Patricia Miller nee craigie
Views: 607   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 2, 2020 12:07am
by Victor Balsdon
Happy Christmas
Happy Christmas, everyone, and best wishes for a safe and healthy 2020. Be careful in this crazy world. Aye Vic
Views: 112   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 24, 2019 8:49pm
by Victor Balsdon
Mementos from Aden
I was wondering if anyone had anything left from their time in Aden apart from photos. When we came home in 1965 our complete flat in Steamer Point was packed up and returned to the UK. Sadly the fridge did not survive as the packing case in which it was loaded wa...
Views: 2186   Replies: 19
Last Post: Dec 5, 2019 1:28pm
by Gordon Clark
Cockburn Family
Hello, my parents Vincent and Kathleen Cockburn came to Aden from England in late 1965 along with five of us children ( Clare, Chris, Ruth, Helen and Juliette who was born there) Dad taught at a school there, not sure which one. We made a lot of friends there. Does a...
Views: 143   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 12, 2019 8:44am
by Clare Pinnington
Silent Valley Cemetery
Is anyone aware of whether the cemetery at Silent valley is being maintained? The Commonwealth War Graves Commission are unable to establish whether or not it has been damaged by the civil wars, and were less than helpful when I inquired. Any information from someo...
Views: 173   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 11, 2019 5:32pm
by Victor Balsdon
Aden kid
Hi, We kids exist,in different continents. Our main document birth certificates don't exist.Is there a solution or a wat to get our fresh birth certificates, through a reliable channel. I need help n an answer. Veronica
Views: 158   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 8, 2019 8:07pm
by Veronica Albuque...
New book. 'Hunters over Arabia'
Should be if interest to anyone wishing to know more about the role played by the Hawker Hunter aircraft in policing much of the Middle East, especially Aden, in the period 1960-71. 'Based on official records held at the National Archives and other published sou...
Views: 163   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 12, 2019 1:06pm
by Ray Deacon
Little Aden
Hi all, I am opening up a dessert & cafe in the up and coming weeks and I shall be naming it Little Aden. The reason behind this is quite simple, the history of coffee around the world has its origins from Aden, together with the fact that Aden had a deep and pro...
Views: 703   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 11, 2019 10:20pm
by John Macnab
1955_57
Hi, I'm looking for some friends from my days in Aden. Rosalind and Roger Wood. Angela and patty Thompson, Alan budd. Can anyone help??
Views: 191   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 15, 2019 10:13pm
by John Wilkinson
Is it Safe to Visit Aden Now?
Hello All I was born in Aden 10th May 1967 at Steamer Point. My Mum and Dad were with the RAF. I'd love to go back but is this realistic? The Foreign Office would probably say no but does anyone have any recent experience of visiting Aden? Cheers, Paul
Views: 246   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 21, 2019 3:41pm
by Afif
c
cathy
Ivory from Aden
Hi, My parents when in Aden bought the most marvellous carved Ivory pieces. Just wondering if anyone has any? We think they may be ivory or possibly something else. Dilemma here. Can't sell it as anything bought in such times must have a certificate. Of course,...
Views: 169   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 7, 2019 6:26pm
by Pam Millar
Memories of a bygone Era !!
I am Danny born in Aden, actually in Crater Aden (street name Bohra Bazaar) My family had a home in Khormaksar, Aden area too. We had a shop called VAKCO GENERAL STORE on The Crescent, Steamer Point Aden, close to the then National & Grindleys Bank now called B...
Views: 225   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 19, 2019 4:01pm
by Danny Vakharia
LAPA school photo 1962 i think
I have spent this evening finally looking at the BP Aden Kids site. My mum said i should look at ages ago. I am in a photo of class kids in school section, smock dress, straight blond hair with hair grip on left. My dad was Safety Officer(i will check this with mum t...
Views: 509   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 17, 2019 12:53pm
by judith brackley
c
cathy
Jimmy and Barbara Hamilton - The Post Office?
A friend has just sent me two separate newspaper clippings of Jimmy (aged 96) and Barbara (aged 94)..(was she known as Babs?) who lived in Aden who have just celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary at a retirement home in Hamilton, Scotland. The article mentions a...
Views: 375   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 18, 2019 1:02pm
by Victor Balsdon
Yemen debate in UK House of Commons
May be of interest to some. Not a moment too soon, the UK Commons are now discussing Yemen: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmhansrd/cm150224/halltext/150224h0001.htm
Views: 1249   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 28, 2019 6:01pm
by Victor Balsdon
Little Aden 1957/60
My father was stationed at the BP refinery in the late 50's. Dr William David Livingstone (Bill) Smith. His wife was Isabel Smith. Unfortunately I don't have that good a memory of the place, but we luckily have quite a bit of cine film. I remember the house - direct...
Views: 356   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 1, 2019 5:17pm
by Stephen Turtle
1 2 3 4
Free Forum powered by Bravenet